+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thought I heard it all.

Default Thought I heard it all.

Thought I heard it all until today. Had a guy call today wanting grade B from the second tap on the tree. He had researched the subject online and knew the syrup from the second tap had the most minerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thought I heard it all until today. Had a guy call today wanting grade B from the second tap on the tree. He had researched the subject online and knew the syrup from the second tap had the most minerals.
    Certainly you run separate lines from all the second taps? Doesn't everyone?
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

I think second-tap syrup would be a little pricier, considering it's unique benefits.

When you have 2 taps on a tree, how do you designate which is 1st and which is 2nd? Now I've got to run another set of wet/dry lines , mains and laterals to take advantage of this super food sales potential.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I would have to guess the 2nd tap would be the lower one since the minerals are heavier and come out that one.

I think the first tap is the one you drill with your right hand and the second tap is the one you drill with your left hand. Makes perfectly good sense to me seeing how we have left and right hand taps.

I just had someone ask me why I don't sugar during the summer. When I explained how the weather created a seasonal crop, she told me that in New Jersey they sugar all year round. I said it must be some other type of sugaring, but she insisted it was maple sugaring and clearly held the belief that I just don't know what I'm doing. She's probably right on that point, anyway. Maybe they do second taps in New Jersey.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

And no one took me serious about the helium injection.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Ok would the boil from the 'second tap' result in more or less sugar sand?? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    I just had someone ask me why I don't sugar during the summer. When I explained how the weather created a seasonal crop, she told me that in New Jersey they sugar all year round. I said it must be some other type of sugaring, but she insisted it was maple sugaring and clearly held the belief that I just don't know what I'm doing. She's probably right on that point, anyway. Maybe they do second taps in New Jersey.
    This one at least kinda makes sense to me. I wonder if she sees tubing that's been left up all year and thinks that sap collection goes on continuously. As for the second tap thing, that's obviously bad information and probably a misunderstanding of what' s written in some places on the web about Grade B coming from the second run (not second tap). Read this "most helpful" review of a syrup sold on Amazon.com which hundreds of people rated useful .
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast