+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finishing off at the end of the season

Default Finishing off at the end of the season

I have a 2x4 continuous flow pan but no syrup pan, last year on my last boil I boiled it down as far as I could and drew off until what was left in the pan looked pretty light and then finished it off in the house. It seemed like I lost a lot of concentrated sap and could have made more syrup. How do others finish off at the end of the season if they do not have a seperate syrup pan?

Thanks for the help, looking to increase my taps and production this year and trying to work out my plans before the season starts.
    700 taps, Smoky Lake 2x6 drop flu, 2 post RO. 16x20 Sugar House

I finish off with my pan - a 2x3, the same way you described. I do my normal way of shutting down - quit firing and let cool down and try to leave 1.5 in or so in the pan. Then I filter that after all is cooled down and finish with the turkey fryer. I don't see how I lost any concentrated sap though, there's only so much sugar in all that sap and I made syrup out of all of it. How do feel you lost concentrate?
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

I do not have a turkey fryer set up and so there was 3 gallons of semi concentrate i did not boil down further since i did not want to boil that much in the house. It was not the end of the world but I am just looking for what others do as I am looking to increase taps and want to get the most out of my production. May look into a turkey fryer set up to finish off the last of it this year.
    700 taps, Smoky Lake 2x6 drop flu, 2 post RO. 16x20 Sugar House

Funny you should ask this because this was our first year trying a new method. When I start getting low on sap I try to flood the pan from the feed tank and shutting the fire down. I then just let everything cool off. If I time it right, I'll have a couple of inches left in my pans which I draw off the next day into clean buckets, filtering out any impurities. I then add these to a 2x2 kitchen pan and then finish it off on my stove. We got 2-3 gallons of syrup which really surprised me so I think salvaging what is in the pans is worth it!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

When I had a half pint (24x36") I boiled until I had only about 1/2-3/4" left. I then slid the pan off and onto a bench I had moved next to the arch. Then I let it steam off some, but then tilted the pan before the steam quit and drew the concentrate into a large pot. I then finished it in the kitchen. I did not rapid boil until I was getting close, I just used a sub boil heat to get less steam in the house at once. When it was thought to be getting close, I turned the heat up, turned on the ceiling fan and opened 2 windows. It went well and we had wall paper in the kitchen.
    I now drain the concentrate from by flue pan into a barrel. I close the valve to the syrup pan. Then I put water in the flue pan and light the fire. As the concentrate gets down just under an inch I let the fire burn out. Sometimes I need to slow the boil by opening the firebox doors. When the fire is out, I draw the contents and pump it into my finisher which already has the last batch in it. Then I finish it in the finisher, in the sugarhouse.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread