+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WV Maple Syrup Producers Assoc.

Default WV Maple Syrup Producers Assoc.

The big hit at the State Fair of West Virginia, is the Blue Ribbon Sugar Camp located in the Ag Annex. With a brand new 3 by 8 Leader woodfired evaporator on loan from Brenneman's Maple Equipment.
    The display has been manned by Robert Reed, WVU Ag student, a member of our newly formed Maple Producers Assoc, an assisted by members Brandon(aka WVmapler) , Mark (aka 220 Maple) ,Dr. Jamie Schuler an son Tucker, Dr. Schuler teaches the new Maple Syrup Class at WVU. Other members that are planning on visiting and helping, Robert's parents and The Hervey's from the Northern Panhandle.

We had some inside help from the Dept. of Ag. they being Jeannie Smith, director of marketing and her employees in that Dept. Cindy Martel, Debra Hurd.

Also need to mention that the announcer for the State Fair is a Maple Producer from NY State, Paul Rose, he posts on mapletrader by the name pdr.
    On his rounds for interviews he stops by the Ag. Annex and is friends with many employees of the Dept. of Ag., he has become a good friend to the Maple producers and Assoc. members.

By setting up this educational display we have found new producers, we're hoping they will join our Assoc.
    We also announced that we have two seminars scheduled, Sept. 13th at Dry Fork Maple Works, Nov.3rd also at the same location.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Are you selling product at the booth? At the New York State fair, our association has a nice booth and they sell a ton of maple products. This gets more people introduced to real maple. Good luck on yours. By the way, if you get as busy as ours you will need a lot more people to work the booth. We require a lot of association volunteers to cover the booth at all times. They work specific shifts and it is all scheduled ahead. Ours makes cream, candy, coated nuts, popcorn and others, right there for the public to see, of course along with syrup sales. Maybe you can get things going to get bigger in a few years. Sounds great so far!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Our newly formed West Virginia Maple Syrup Producers Assoc. is having a tubing seminar on Sat. 13, Jason Callan, tubing expert for Leader Evaporator is the class instructor. If any one near WV is interested in attending just PM thru this message board, I'll be happy to give your more details about location and hours.

Mark 220 Maple

Her is a little bit more information on the Upcoming Seminar Mark mentioned above:

Saturday Sept 13 from 10 am to 2 pm with Jason Callan and Bruce Gillian from Leader evaporator. There is will hands on training in the sugarbush and 2 hours of class time. The class will also focus on boiling and reverse osmosis.

The seminar will be held at John Dalen's Dry Fork Maple Works near Whitmer, WV. There is no charge for the class and lunch will be provided for a small fee. I can also be contacted for directions or other information through PM or at my email address: wvmapler@suddenlink.net.

Anyone attending is ask to pre-register.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

WV Maple Syrup Producers is proud to announce our second Maple Workshop/Seminar,

Dr. Mike Farrell, Cornell University an Dr. Jamie Schuler, WVU will be leading a Workshop, Preparing your Sugar Bush for Sap Production.
    This event has been approved for registered foresters to receive educational credits, I was told that Dr. Farrell will discuss the new research being done with 3/16 tubing and natural vacuum also.
    I've never met Dr. Farrell but have been told he is one of the leading researcher in in the Maple World!

This event is Nov. the 3rd at Dry Fork Maple Works, No fee required, just need to sign up so we can the right amount of food prepared and chairs available.

If you would like more info you can contact me thru the message board here or email at mountainstreampress@gmail.com

Mark 220 Maple

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    ...new research being done with 3/16 tubing and natural vacuum also.
    If those attending (or others) have questions about 3/16" tubing and natural vacuum, they should also feel welcome to contact Tim Wilmot Timothy.Wilmot@uvm.edu , the researcher who has spent the past 5 years developing and testing this system. He has a new paper coming out in the December issue of Maple News on his new work done over the past few seasons.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Agree Dr. Tim
    Dr. Farrell is only going to highlight that research is being done, I will make sure Tim Wilmot get credit for the research he has done, will pass on his email address to anyone that is thinking about 3/16th tubing and natural vacuum. We as a Assoc. are hoping to get Tim to come down to WV next year and do a workshop on 3/16th. We have many steep hillsides and mountains, perfect for natural vacuum.

Mark 220 Maple

Default How is WV Maple Syrup Producers Association going? When is the next event?

Mark 220 Maple and WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER;

I started making some maple syrup last year from 20 taps. I enjoyed it a lot and I am looking to expand this year. I am looking to learn more and meet some other maplers in the WV area. I am located in Bruceton Mills, WV.

We are growing since becoming State Certified last Summer. We also have a newsletter that is printed twice a year, working on the next issue which will go out in January. Will be detailed info about WV's first ever Maple Weekend, Mid Atlantic Maple Camp next Summer, and a Maple Syrup Marketing Workshop. All three events I hope will be of some interests to all Syrup Producers in our state but also other surrounding states! Keith Thanks for revisiting this thread. Look for a PM from me thru this message board.

Mark 220 Maple

What state certification did you acquire for maple syrup?

Thanks.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast