+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sap filter survey

I filter both in the woods as I dump into collection tank and as it goes into holding tank at the sugar house

Last season i only filtered the sap just before i boiled it(and after of course) I think ill be filtering it differently this season. When i transfer it into my mobile collection tank, and then again before it enters the main tank at my evap. Might be overkill, but oh well!

I think we can all agree filtering is key whether its before or after this tank or that tank. I filter out all the bugs debris etc before it goes into the truck tank through a T-shirt. I bought a 6 pack and wash them will last years. Found it keeps the tank cleaner between cleans and is easier to clean. I am setting up a new evap and head tank this year and plan to filter it at that point again.
    Years sugaring with Grandpa on a turkey fryer
    2013 50 taps on steam table pans outside
    2014 125+ taps on half pint 12x8 sugar shack
    2015 2x6 Sunrise metals JDL drop Flue 300 taps
    2016 Bought my first house. New area, less time, 125 taps
    2017 More time and getting closer to 300 taps again

I use a pre-filter nested in a 2 gallon bucket with the bottom drilled out. The 2 gallon bucket is wedged into the side of a 55 gal. drum I use for a dump station. From there it goes down hill through a pipe to the collection tank at the sugar house.

Next year, I'll be bringing in more by truck, so I'll probably filter through a sock-type while pumping as mentioned above. Then I'll just unload right to the collection tank at the sugar house.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

We use 100 micron bucket filter on our 5 gallon collecting buckets, another 100 micron filter going into the bulk tank at the sugarhouse, and a 10 micron inline filter as the sap goes into the feed tank for the evaporator. We catch stuff at all points. You can't filter too much.
    Ian
    New sugarhouse fall '06. 3x8 drop flue by Phaneuf. Kubota L2800. 260 buckets for 2012. 504 taps for 2013. 320 buckets, 207 on 5/16" and 200 on 3/16" gravity tubing for 2014. 2017: 280 buckets, 920 on 3/16" tubing, selling sap from 560 of that. Son Gavin is in 3rd successful year of selling maple equipment as MacK Maple Supply.

I filter with a screen at the collection tank and again as the sap is pumped into the storage tank at the sugar shack. I have tested KenAG milk sock filters and I plan to use them this year. They're cheap and disposable. You can order the 12 inch ones from TS; I'd like to find a retailer stocking the 5 1/2 inch filters.
    2020 89 taps on buckets. 2 x 4, 3-channel, flat pan, evaporator

I filter in the woods as we gather, again as I pump up into the truck tank and then again as I go from the truck tank to the holding tank beside the evaporator. I use a pre-filter inside a 1 micron bag filter at all three locations. I might be going overboard, but it's easy enough to do.
    301 buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12