+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vermont Maple Syrup Labeling

Default Vermont Maple Syrup Labeling

I ate breakfast at a very popular downtown Burlington eatery Sunday, 8/3/2014. Had pancakes with Vermont maple syrup. What I found interesting was the retail jug, although the text and graphics on the jug looked similar to all Vermont Maple Syrup jugs it DID NOT state the grade (tasted like dark) and the source. Is this in accordance with Vermont's labeling regs?

Syrup has to be labeled and graded when sold. I doubt that syrup being served has to be labeled. Most places use the glass servers with no label. I bet they use the jug you saw for serving and the syrup actually came out of a larger jug that probably has a label. Of course if they make the syrup it would be a good idea to have a label on it.
    Jared

Perhaps I wasn't clear about the "jug" the syrup was served in. It looked exactly like a jug you would find at any maple syrup retailer except the source (sugar maker or packager) was not identified and there was no grade label. It's possible that the grade label may have been washed away as they, I believe are paper labels, usually on the top lid, if they reuse them.

I am not in vt but here in NY syrup that is served at an eating establishment (I just finished a week of County Fair pancake breakfasts) does not have to be labeled. We use pint jugs from sugarhill with flip top lids as serving containers. We refill from 1 gallon jugs that are required to have the name and grade attached.

+ Reply to Thread