+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Logging in the Sugar Bush

Default Logging in the Sugar Bush

We recently purchased a plot of land in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. There is a substantial sugar bush that hasn't been tapped for several years. The land has a Forest Management Plan which I will be meeting with the forester soon to review what needs to be done this year and next to adhere to the plan.

My plan is to contract with a sugar maker for the purchase of sap. I expect that a pipeline system with vacuum will assure maximum sap income.

To what extent can logging occur AFTER a pipeline is installed?

That depends on how you write the lease contract. I have 2 sugar bushes that are leased. In each the landowner is allowed to log, trying to minimise pipeline damage. I then fix any that is damaged, which is generally limited. That being said, if a logger is going in, the damage potential is likely greater. That also depends on the logger and his contract.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

logging can be done very easily and to a full extent after a pipeline system is installed. IF proper planning and installation is done. tubing installations can be done to allow full access to the woods. if the installer can identify forest roads, access points and potential areas of harvest or thinning. tubing is a very flexible system and is there to help gather sap and not block access to your woodlot. the other half of the equation is to find a GOOD, qualified logger that will understand your investment in the woods. if you talk with some and you don't like the answers move on! "loggers" are a dime a dozen and sometimes it takes a while to find a good one that will care about your woods as much as you!
    western territory manager for h2o innovation
    past professional tubing installer
    16x32 heavy timber frame sugarhouse
    2600 taps on vacuum
    [url]www.photobucket.com/grossmanbrothers[/url
    www.ohiomapleproducts.com

+ Reply to Thread