+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3/16 tubing

coyote- Sounds like it would work good where Im at then because almost all my taps are on steep side hills. The woods I thought about trying it on has probly 200' of elevation drop. It would be crazy easy to do if you ran 30 taps a lateral because you would basically just haze the whole woods in. The only thing Im kind of wondering is like I said will it keep on running? Is it a sure enough thing you could pay good tap rent and make money with it? What would be kind of a neat Idea is where these taps are the farmer has an old unused dairy pump in the barn all I would need is a releaser and I could be put vac on the end of the mainline or even use a sp22. Just run a one inch line the whole way, tap every thing in with 3/16 and see what happens? Theron

I would start with 20 or more per lateral and make sure you have at least 30 feet of elevation drop below your last tap to gain the natural vacuum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

I have been wondering about this myself.
    I have a small bush (80-100) that is very steep and was if I needed a main at all or can you "y" into the 3/16 like you can 5/16. It is so small I think I could do it all with 3/16 into one tank?

Theron , I went to the seminar they had at D&G during the open house on 3/16th tubing. It was really in formative , they told us the rule is 25 taps to a lateral max, I am just going by what was told to us there, I contacted the Proctor research center also and Tim Wilmot was very helpful as well, I have a new sugarbush that I am tapping this year with all 3/16th , it has a great slope so Im hoping for great results. Hope this helps ,Al
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by PerryFamily View Post
    I have been wondering about this myself.
    I have a small bush (80-100) that is very steep and was if I needed a main at all or can you "y" into the 3/16 like you can 5/16. It is so small I think I could do it all with 3/16 into one tank?
    I spoke with Tim Wilmot on this subject and he recommended not to y or t any of the 3/16" lines together. You probably don't need any mainline though, you could probably just run 4 or 5 3/16" laterals all back to the collection tank separately. I am in the process of setting up a small woods on 3/16" this year as well. It only has between 350-400 taps, but just not worth putting vac. on. The top of this woods(1100 taps) run back to the sh. but the bottom is to low to get pitch back to the sh. I am paying the same per tap as the vac. part of the woods to the landowner. I would be skeptical of doing this, but I put up a 3/16" test line last year with 22 taps. The outcome was 25.3 g/tap, just 5 gal. less than my vac woods of 30.14 g/tap. I think it would have averaged the same, but I missed the first 2 runs on it because I tapped it 3 weeks later. That being said, I would probably never set up a "big" woods on this. It definitely has its place in the maple industry though!

Neil
    Last edited by Walling's Maple Syrup; 08-17-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Neil- that is what I think I am going to do. One lateral will be fairly long maybe 200' with the first half ( 1st tap) is kinda flat but the last half is super steep. This is the only spot that worries me. Hopefully with the vacuum created on the line it will work. Maybe not perfect but work.

Quote Originally Posted by Walling's Maple Syrup View Post
    I spoke with Tim Wilmot on this subject and he recommended not to y or t any of the 3/16" lines together. You probably don't need any mainline though, you could probably just run 4 or 5 3/16" laterals all back to the collection tank separately. I am in the process of setting up a small woods on 3/16" this year as well....

Neil
    When I did the math, I found I could run 5 lines at 3/16" right into my tank and spend less than buying 1" for a mainline. I don't know if the 3/16" freezes faster tho. That might cut yield a bit. Does anyone have experience with using a mainline with 3/16"?
    Steve

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by PerryFamily View Post
    ?...or can you "y" into the 3/16 like you can 5/16.
    You shouldn't put a "y" or a "tee" in any lateral line regardless of whether it is 3/16" or 5/16".
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    You shouldn't put a "y" or a "tee" in any lateral line regardless of whether it is 3/16" or 5/16".
    I have never been a big fan of Y's in a lateral line (although I do have one Y in my woods). Dr. Tim and other Traders i was wondering what you think about Y's in a one inch mainline if the overall distance is 1000 feet or less? Thanks.

Spud

I may be missing something here. Your saying you should not have a y or t in a lateral, but isnt every tap added by using a tee?

Sugarsand
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD