+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We're #2!

If majority of WV producers reported their taps they would easily be in top 10. Most don't want the government knowing anything about them so prob 90% don't report. Considering the current president and administration has about ruined this state it is not hard to understand why unfortunately. I am not trying to turn this into a political post and don't want it to go that way.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Here is the link to the NY section of NASS on the left side of the page tab on the pull down menu and pic your state.

http://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_...ates/index.asp

From there you can find the reports you will need to file or to sign up for a census form. Once you start you are required to file by law unless you stop farming.

If you don't file on time they will call you for the numbers.

Good records are a bug time saver in filling out the reports.

Ben

When I signed up with the Vermont Maple Sugar Makers' Association, they did ask how many taps on the application.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribner's Mountain Maple View Post
    I wonder also how they count taps, and who they are asking? I am in Central Vermont with almost 2300 taps and nobody asked me how many taps I had, or how much production I had? Just wondering if they are only counting producers above 10,000 or something? And I am in the Vermont Maple producers association, so they aren't asking, or maybe they did when I filled out a form? If so, that was years ago? I have no idea how they get the numbers? Dr. Tim?

Ben
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER View Post
    ...Considering the current president and administration has about ruined this state it is not hard to understand why unfortunately. I am not trying to turn this into a political post and don't want it to go that way.
    Oh, i'm SO sorry that the current administration has "ruined" your state.

Good luck getting it turned around. If you don't want to make a political statement. Avoid off-the-cuff nonsensical statements like that one.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    Oh, i'm SO sorry that the current administration has "ruined" your state.

Good luck getting it turned around. If you don't want to make a political statement. Avoid off-the-cuff nonsensical statements like that one.
    Appears you are the one that is making nonsensical statement. Not off the cuff. Majority of the economy of this state is coal and a lot have lost their jobs. Many tens of thousands are employed in the coal industry which the current administration has swore to eliminate and many have already lost their jobs which affects them and most others in the state. Trickle down effect. Thus why producers down here won't report anything. I am involved in trying to start a state maple association and many fight it because they don't want the federal government finding out anything about them. Parts of Kentucky has taken it on the chin too really badly.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Quote Originally Posted by sjdoyon View Post
    When I signed up with the Vermont Maple Sugar Makers' Association, they did ask how many taps on the application.
    They are counting all size operations who submit a census report. Sign up to be included at NASS (National Agricultural Statistical Service). By the way, anyone wondering, your data can not be matched to your tax return, by law, in case you are worried or try to operate "under the radar".
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Sometimes I tell people I'm from New York and I make maple syrup - they look at me like I'm crazy. As if I were tapping maples in Central Park and boiling in my shoe box apartment in Manhattan.

I hear that. Anything above Albany could fall off the face of the earth and nobody would know a thing. By the way where in central park do they keep the cows
    Last edited by brass maple; 02-18-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    MATT

2013 - 35 taps
    boiling on a revamped wood stove. 3 1/2 gallons
    2014 - life stepped in. Made a little
    2015 - Around 45 taps. Homemade barrel evap. 6 gallons made.
    2016 - made 4 1/2 gallons of syrup
    2017 had to take a break this year

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12