+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much wood does it take to evaporate sap

Default How much wood does it take to evaporate sap

Hey guys I was just wondering if you knew how much wood it takes to evaporate sap. I will be using a cinder block arch with 4 steam table pans. I will also be using hardwood. I was just wondering if you guys had a chart or something tellin how much wood it takes to evaporate a certain amount of sap.
    Thanks mr. Red maple

There are many variables but a rule of thumb is 20 gallons of syrup per cord of wood using unconcentrated sap. So at 40 to 1 you could boil approx. 800 gallons of sap per cord of wood. A block arch is not the most effiecient so I would go more with 10 to 15 gallons of syrup per cord, so 400 to 600 gallons of sap. Try to have at least 2 years worth of wood before each season so you don't run out and have to sump sap.

On my evaporator I get 23-25 gal of syrup/cord if running 2% sap. A block arch, depending on design and such might get 8-12 , maybe less. On a block arch there's far too many variables to guess closer. Is it insulated, what is the height under the pans, is there a front door of some sort, do you have it built with a stack? There are many other variables too.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I would get as much as possible whatever you don't burn this year you will in future years. I haul home anything I can find every trip home from work. I have approx 4 cord pine 2 cord hardwood 125 pallets and 100 various boards 2x4, 2x6... I try not to burn hardwood I can sell for $. If you burn a cord you could sell for 250$ and are making 8gallons with it that's 30$gallon including nothing else. If you burn pallets and junk wood it will cost a few dollars a gallon. I don't have 100 acres so to me firewood is a commodity.
    Years sugaring with Grandpa on a turkey fryer
    2013 50 taps on steam table pans outside
    2014 125+ taps on half pint 12x8 sugar shack
    2015 2x6 Sunrise metals JDL drop Flue 300 taps
    2016 Bought my first house. New area, less time, 125 taps
    2017 More time and getting closer to 300 taps again

My advise is worry less, enjoy the time more. Not all hard woods are created equal. Sassafras and catalpa are hard woods but very light even white pine is a better source of heat. Cut as much wood as you enjoy cutting and boil till the wood or the sap runs out.

I can make about 15 gallons of syrup for every cord of softwood slabs on my 3 x 10.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

old timers say 15 to 20 gal syrup one cord of wood hard or soft wood I dont know, all natural no air.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Interesting thread as I am currently stock piling my wood for this spring’s boil. I almost got caught in my calculations with US and Imperial gallons. Conservatively I should get 10 gallons of syrup for one full cord of wood. When converting that to litres per full cord, you have to remember that it is US gallons and that is only about 3.8 litres per gallon vs about 4.55 litres for an imperial gallon. So conservatively, it is about 38 litres per full cord. I likely at best will have 22 litres of syrup, so that will be .58 full cord or 1.7 face cords. I will stock pile one full cord or three face cords and that should be plenty. I will put my driest wood first up.

If my cinder block arch is more efficient than 10 gallons per cord, I obviously will use less wood.

For your wood remember to split it smaller to get a better burn. I have to re-split once or twice my fireplace firewood for use in the evaporator.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

Quote Originally Posted by aamyotte View Post
    For your wood remember to split it smaller to get a better burn. I have to re-split once or twice my fireplace firewood for use in the evaporator.
    I was just resplitting my firewood today in near 40° C (104° F) humidex weather. I also built a wood rack near the evaporator to stack it.

Some of the wood I will burn tomorrow in my evaporators first test water boil.

ECE45BC5-AA1A-4236-8534-626821CF9AD6.jpg
    405187FF-FB06-4DCC-8B72-D7F8E3F64F71.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast