+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cinder block arch questions

Quote Originally Posted by handtapper View Post
    The biggest pain I had was scorching on the sides you want fire only on the bottom. If you coffin drop the pans flush with the arch and have heat on the sides the pans will burn. Cabin seems to have had success with his how do you keep your pans up higher than the arch? He is right about the blocks shifting. I also found myself standing in a mud hole after the cold was gone so consider the location. Crude covers for the pans were crucial being outside and I directed my stack at a slight angle away from the pans to keep ash away. The deeper pans were better than the shallow ones to reduce the chance off splashing over. I found old firebricks at the dump before for free
    I reshaped the long edges of the pans so they fit closer together and have the base of the pans on 4 inch angle iron. I use pavers on the side of the pan to protect them from the wind and use 5/8 round stove gasket between the pans to keep the flames below the sap level. Mud is a big problem back in the woods. I use old heavy plastic shelving as a walkway from the cabin and on the sides of the arch.

I built a small rig for my grandson. Do a search on my name to find it. I don't type good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12