+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Maple Syrup Digest article (mentioning round up) june edition.

Hey, sorry. I think keeping it maple is the thing to do. Guess I got a little emotional and felt compelled to respond. Possibly I am too emotional to possess a firearm Knee-jerk reactions and all, haha.

Back on topic I think round up and Monsanto suck! Bullies!! But that's easy for me to say I guess since I am not a farmer trying to make a living, just a small time mapler, small time garden guy with a few chickens and such.
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

If one was to go organic, how close can your woods be to agriculture fields that recieve herbicides? Wondering what the guidelines and setback requirements are for something like this. As well, if your tapping roadside trees and obviously are subject to toadsalt, what are the organic requirements in these situations?
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

What's toadsalt?

Quote Originally Posted by WestWind View Post
    What's toadsalt?
    always a joker in the bunch
    Bill Donovan Loving life in Boston New York
    2016 block arch in progress eyeing up several trees. trying to figure best configuration for chimney. .
    2014: 20-25 taps block arch. 3- 6 inch deep steam table pans . 17 quarts of syrup from from reds, silvers and sugars.
    2011: 9 trees tapped block arch 2 steam table pans 1 side burner on the propane grill..1.5 gallons of syrup
    1 understanding and supportive wife
    1 daughter that loves all things maple

Thanks Blueberry hill for clearing that up. Actually I knew that just wanted to see why the good doctor was making such statements in a maple post. I think he says we should always make sure where we get our information. My wife says she thinks the Brady campaign has been putting that info out there to scare people.

Toad salt is what the old timers used to keep the toads out of the road and not scare the horses in the spring. Hahaha....no animals were hurt in the making of this joke.

It does work thou.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin View Post
    But then that was the idea behind Dr. Tim's post wasn't it.
    Yup. Thanks for catching it and pointing it out.

For those that didn't understand, that info is out there on the web, but the source is dubious. The point being...you can easily find something on the Internet to support whatever you want to claim. Just because it's out there doesn't necessarily make it true. The veracity of the statements often depends upon the source.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Yup. Thanks for catching it and pointing it out.

For those that didn't understand, that info is out there on the web, but the source is dubious. The point being...you can easily find something on the Internet to support whatever you want to claim. Just because it's out there doesn't necessarily make it true. The veracity of the statements often depends upon the source.
    "The trouble with internet quotes is. That it is you can never be sure of your source."
    .......... Ben Franklin
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456