+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How many years in a row should you tap a tree?

Default How many years in a row should you tap a tree?

OK, I am relatively new to making maple syrup (my 2nd year), I have read somewhere that you should tap a tree for 3 years and then skip a year. Do you agree with this? If so, do you totally skip a year or tap half of the trees for 2 years? As this will be my 2rd year, I need to determine my plan. Thanks
    2016 - 17 Taps, some elm's no clue. . .. .
    2017 - 34 Taps, All Maples
    2018 - 45 Taps, 7.4 gallons

As long as there is good wood available and the tree is the proper size you can continue tapping.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

On a healthy tree if you keep within the tapping guidelines, you can tap every year. Issues come in to play if you get hit hard with Forest Tent Caterpillars, but even then, if it's only a light concentration you can tap, if the trees are hit 2 years in a row, let that tree rest a year before resuming tapping.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread