+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RO Help

I will get some pics later for you, have to get work done while the sun is shining.

The two in the unit now are in series. I will add an additional two in series to each other but parallel to the current two. This will divide the flow between the two membrane sets.
    Flushing the membranes is simply a process to flood sap or permeate thru the system to remove sugar or contaminates on the filtration surface. I find that taking 2-4 minutes of allowing the unit to run at full concentrate flow will increase the flow of the membranes after production has slumped from filter plugging with sugars.

My wife says I can squeeze a fart out of a Buffalo on a nickel; but when it will make you $$$ then you need to spend a buck. I would suggest investing in flow meters and try those membranes you have. My Memtek has a inflow, membrane circulation, concentrate and permeate flow meters.

The plumbing is best done with copper lines where possible. I do use flexible tubing but I have to change them due to they are not rated for the pressures the unit achieves. Tube failure can cause serious injury and the wasting of sugar.

Go to run but will get back to you soon.

Ben

Ben, what model Memtek? Mine is a 250 and I added 2 in series to mine. It did not gain 100% like I hoped. I gained probably 75%. If I had it to do again I think I would put an 8" on it. I have a stainless vessel that holds 2 4" that might be available.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

It is listed as a 150. It was a demo that had an over sized pump. No recirc pump as your should have. The original pump went part way thru the first season and they installed the pump for a larger unit in the machine.

An 8" would be the way to go if redoing the entire unit...vessel and membranes. I would be interested in the vessels you have. The old vessels and membranes disappeared and I just put in two xle 4040 with vessels....oops. Eight" would have been cheaper and better sized to the pumps in the machine.

We were not as serious about making syrup two years ago as we are now. It may be a large part of our farm operation when the oldest and is girl get back from college in 3 years. At college they went to a sugar maker on a school ag business trip and ended up sharing ideas and impressed the professor with their experience. We have 3 4000 gallon storage tanks we don't use in the liquid feed business any longer and a 2000 gallon stainless truck that is seldom used; that will work well for hauling sap.

Mine does not have a recirculation pump.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Mine was first run in 1981 according to the scribing on the inside of the control cover.

I think they are good units. more complicated than todays units but seem rather robust since they were built for 500 psi. The extra flow meters are very handy to gauge the unit and membrane status. I plan on keeping this one around for a long while. Just don't like the loudness of the unit.

The RO is stuck in a corner right now; behind a bunch of stuff as we are in the process of getting ready to build a walkin cooler for the syrup barrels. It may be a bit for pics. I will look in the book to see if there are any schematics

Default RO Help

I have been working on my RO. I put It on a dolly so It can be moved inside when the weather turns cold. Only have to bring it 100 yards to cottage basement to where there is heat.Have most of the plumping done and now to do the electrical.Might try and pass water throw today to check how much pressure it will build up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maple Cove

Default RO Help

Well I guess my rig will build up pressure as I blew the end off of one of my 4x40 RO filter tubes. It was closing in on 300 psi when it blew. It could be because it is old or had a crack in it as it has had a hard life. Lucky I have a couple spare ones. I changed the blown up one for another and ran it for one and a half hours with no problems at 175 to 200 psi, only a few small water leaks. Still waiting for a few more parts (water meter and TDS meter) but think it is going to work Not sure how high to run the pressure yet? What would be a good working pressure for sap? Thanks Vernon
    Maple Cove

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123