+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A great loss

Default A great loss

We have a great loss in the Vermont sugaring community! I know some of you know him by name and probably a lot more do by face... He is one of the men that started me sugaring, always answering my questions and helping me out no matter how foolish I looked.. (he never judged!)

He was a very humble man that would go out of his way to help a friend or foe!

Obituaries

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+ Share with Email

Gerard D. Stevens
    (September 30, 1946 - April 18, 2014)

Send Flowers Send Sympathy Card
    Guest Book | Sign Guest Book | Send Private Condolences

Strafford, Vermont

Gerard D. Stevens, 67 died April 18, 2014 at his home in Strafford, Vermont after a courageous battle with cancer.

He was born in Hanover, NH on September 30,1946, the son of Ralph R. and Eunice (Pero) Stevens. He attended schools in Strafford and graduated

from Thetford Academy. On June 17,1972 he married Sandra Smith. He worked on many construction jobs in his lifetime for others as well as for

himself. He was past president and past treasurer of the Orange County Sugar Makers Association and for many years was a state director to the Vermont Maple Sugar Makers Association. For many years he managed the sugar house at the Tunbridge Fair and then moved on to help out at the maple booth in the VT building at Eastern States Exposition. After winning many awards at the VT Maple Festival for his Syrup entries, he volunteered his help in the kitchen during the festival. He was a longtime member of the Strafford Historical Society and current vice president.

He leaves his wife Sandra (Smith) Stevens of Strafford (Thetford Center-mailing), a sister Dorothy McAllister of Windsor, CT and three brothers, Philip Stevens of Saratoga Springs NY, Robert Stevens and Clifton Stevens of Gansevoort NY ; also many nephews and nieces.

There will be no calling hours. It was his wish that he be honored in a private service later on his sugaring land.

In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to The Strafford Historical Society, PO Box 100 Strafford, VT 05072 or to a charity of your choice. A private message of sympathy for the family can be shared at www.boardwayandcilley.com. Arrangements are under the direction of the Boardway & Cilley Funeral Home in Chelsea, VT.
    Four chickens
    Understanding wife
    Big a** evaporator
    One hole of a sugarbush

My prayers go out for a man who was far too young (1 day older than me). Cancer claims far too many lives.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I worked with Gerard and Sandy for a few years at the Big E---Wonderful people. Gerard will be missed in the maple world.
    2 1/2 x8 Lapierre Waterloo-Small (oil fired)
    Leader Steamaway
    1200 gph Lapierre RO
    1800 taps
    http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ks/Sugarhouse/

Mike Christian
    505 Main St. Orwell, Vt.

+ Reply to Thread