+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Sugarshack

Default The New Sugarshack

4-20-2014 7;14;14 PM.jpg4-20-2014 7;15;11 PM.jpg4-20-2014 7;15;24 PM.jpg4-20-2014 7;15;32 PM.jpg4-20-2014 7;15;40 PM.jpg
    Hi Guys,

Now that we have some time to spare with the season over, here are some shots of our new shack that I wanted to share. I never boiled a drop of sap under a roof until this year, and it was nice! The building was started in Aug. of '12 but I lost my job shortly after that so it was'nt usable for last spring. Its 24'x 40', ten foot walls, with a loft. We finally got it so we could boil in it this year. (Too bad the season was'nt a great one.) I also upgraded evaporators. I went up to a 30"x 10' and stretched my arch. We got that in the building and the hoods installed just in time. We put a lot of thought into its design and everything worked pretty good. I thought a lot about what I would have for a shack if I had a shack while I was outside boiling all those years! I'm already looking forward to year number two with the "new" set-up! Hope everyone has a better season next year!

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Steve your "shack" is awesome. Have you got a finishing kitchen in your setup?. I hope to build a shack as well some day. Maybe not on the scale you have. It appears you are set for years to come. Again Great build.
    Last edited by maplerookie; 04-21-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Bill Donovan Loving life in Boston New York
    2016 block arch in progress eyeing up several trees. trying to figure best configuration for chimney. .
    2014: 20-25 taps block arch. 3- 6 inch deep steam table pans . 17 quarts of syrup from from reds, silvers and sugars.
    2011: 9 trees tapped block arch 2 steam table pans 1 side burner on the propane grill..1.5 gallons of syrup
    1 understanding and supportive wife
    1 daughter that loves all things maple

Very nice!!

Next year will 9hopefully) be my first year inside as well. 16 years of doing it outside is enough!! Bought the rig already, just need the building. I am looking to build a 10x16 mainly because that is what the land dictates. I don't have too many flat spots on my property.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Steve - It is a Sugar shack of rare beauty. I can tell a lot of thought went into building it. Now that I'm in my 70's - I could not imagine boiling outside in the wind, rain and snow. Although - I did it for many years. I'm sure You will put it through many years of good use. Very nice job. ---Mike---
    Mike
    2x5 F.O. Tank Arch/Wood Fired
    2x5 Mark/Josh Custom Pans
    12 x 14 Sugar Shack
    55 Sure Taps - 100 Unsure Taps

Wow Steve, That looks great! I should have built one that size too. Now I'm torn between adding an addition 12 x 30, off the side of mine, or moving across the driveway and build a 24x36 or maybe even a 24x40 like yours. I am however leaning towards the addition, making it my kitchen, with an RO room and bathroom at one end. I was planning that for this years maple proceeds, but alas, it will now need to wait another year.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
    Very nice!!

Next year will 9hopefully) be my first year inside as well. 16 years of doing it outside is enough!! Bought the rig already, just need the building. I am looking to build a 10x16 mainly because that is what the land dictates. I don't have too many flat spots on my property.
    One hour with a dozer. It is amazing how flat a hillside can be carved out. I too am amazed and envious of the build.
    Bill Donovan Loving life in Boston New York
    2016 block arch in progress eyeing up several trees. trying to figure best configuration for chimney. .
    2014: 20-25 taps block arch. 3- 6 inch deep steam table pans . 17 quarts of syrup from from reds, silvers and sugars.
    2011: 9 trees tapped block arch 2 steam table pans 1 side burner on the propane grill..1.5 gallons of syrup
    1 understanding and supportive wife
    1 daughter that loves all things maple

Thanks for the compliments guy's. No, we don't have a kitchen in there, but we built it with enough room to "expand" in the future. The gravel pad was made large enough to allow for a lean-to type addition on the left side if we should ever need more room. Right now we use that area for parking the truck with the tank on it.

We did a few things different when it came to building it. I wanted the loft for storage, but more importantly I wanted to be able to open the cupola doors and stack cover by hand- with no ropes and pulleys, and no big ladders. I hate heights! I have a short step ladder up there so I can actuate the stack cover and the doors have prop rods with notches in them that I fabricated. I just did'nt want to chance ropes/cables and pulleys failing and not being able to open or close anything when needed. I also went with doors that hinge at the top for two reasons. I wanted the closed position to be the "default" position. We have wind up here- the rain falls at a severe angle and snow goes horrizontally- so I did'nt want a door to be open due to a rope failure and we have an attic full! And having the door upwards keeps the rain out while boiling. I've been in sugarshacks that had the doors on the roof when open, and when the rain was wind driven we got rained on while talking inside the building! I did'nt want that.

All you guys thinking about building a shack- my only advice would be, "do it". We should have done it a long time ago. Spend some time on it, spend some extra money on it even though its hard to swallow at the time, and you'll be really glad you did it that way once its built.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate

Wow, Steve, that's terrific. I wish I'd stopped over to visit. Too bad the season wasn't better. I was working up in the lower field when you guys came by the other day to pull buckets, were you able to use the sap in the tank? I wish the flow had been better to make it worth your while. And, no offense, but calling that a "shack" is just plain wrong, lol!
    "A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Hi Tim,

You can still stop in for a visit- we don't charge for "shack" tours. Well, not yet anyway. Come soon before the policy changes, lol. No, we did'nt take that sap. The heat was'nt too kind to that sap! Mother Nature is a tough business partner. Oh well, maybe next year will be better.

Steve

How much did building that set you back?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast