+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not tap large limbs too?

Hybrid View

Default Why not tap large limbs too?

Happy Easter to you & yours!

My neighbor has a huge tree I've been eyeing. The trunk is about 45" in diameter.
    About 10 ft off the ground it has 5 large limbs about 21" in diameter and 3 smaller limbs next to them about 16" in diameter.
    Each limb is basically a tree in itself!

I'm wondering... could I put a tap in each limb a few feet away from the trunk, run the tubing down the trunk to the collection buckets, along with a few in the trunk (as usual) into the buckets?

Crazy?
    Won't work well?
    Same as overtapping a tree?
    Ever been done before?
    2014: 1st year w/ 6 taps (Silver Maple, Black Walnut), evaporator = 26" diameter carbon steel wok on customized turkey fryer burner. Syrup had a maple-butterscotch-caramel corn flavor. Concentrated the sugar by freezing all sap before boiling ("poor man's R.O.") as an experiment.
    2015 - Currently: 11 taps (Silver Maple, Black Walnut, Norway Maple).

That would be over tapping. Depending on which guide lines for tapping you follow most would limit total number of taps to max of 3. Every time you add a tap you do get more total sap but the amount of sap per tap declines. Also remember even though it is a large tree the growth rate of those big trees is much slower than a 12-16" tree. Thus it takes longer to heal over those tap holes and provide new growth for sap carrying capacity.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

A few times I've clipped off a tiny branch in the spring to see if sap is running--if it is, sap drips out of the end of that branch at a pretty good rate. Have been tempted to try to collect into buckets this way. May be far less than what you get from a regular tap, I realize.

I have a question about tapping guidelines--have these guidelines (taps per tree) been rigorously tested?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah View Post
    I have a question about tapping guidelines--have these guidelines (taps per tree) been rigorously tested?
    The UVM PMRC is in the middle of a multi-year, multi-faceted review of tapping guidelines. The majority of the work done earlier looked at tapping only from a wounding perspective. We are reexamining that, and also looking at it from a carbohydrate removal standpoint. Then there are lots of trade-offs, how deep to tap, how many taps, species differences, etc. that also need to be factored into the equation. Some of it is also very long-term, so it'll take at least 5 yrs to get a decent answer (and 10 yrs would be far better). We've presented some of this work at different maple conferences, but it'll be several more years before there is a comprehensive guide published.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
    Crazy?
    Won't work well?
    Same as overtapping a tree?
    Ever been done before?
    Answers:
    Definitely.
    Right.
    For sure.
    Probably.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Answers:
    Definitely.
    Right.
    For sure.
    Probably.
    I'm a little disappointed! Better questions for the Dr. : Has it been studied? If not, how do you know these answers? Ten years ago would you have considered sucking on chopped off saplings?
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by RileySugarbush View Post
    I'm a little disappointed!
    I didn't mean to disappoint you, but you didn't ask for explanations. And it was at a rather busy time of year as we were still sugaring and doing research.

It is crazy because people aren't going to tap using ladders. It's bad enough pulling spouts when tapping was done with 3' of snow on the ground.

It won't work well because the higher you go, the less head pressure you have and vacuum effectiveness is reduced, so sap flow would be considerably less. Think of it this way. You have a pipe stuck in the ground (a tree) filled with water. If you tap it low down, you get a lot of water out of it. if you tapped that same stem up high, you'd get far less out of it. Pressure and sap flow in a maple tree (not on vacuum) are dictated by the same pressure-related processes.

Putting that many holes in a tree each year is overtapping. A tree is an integrated unit. Tapping guidelines were based upon stem size, not branch size. That many taps in one tree would also have the potential of impacting the carbohydrate status of the tree.

It has been done before....when scientists (including those at UVM PMRC) were mapping pressure in maple trees to understand sap flow. To my knowledge nobody has tried it as a tapping/sap collection practice (see explanation at top under the "crazy" heading).

Has it been studied? If not, how do you know these answers? Ten years ago would you have considered sucking on chopped off saplings?
    Yes, tapping in multiple places around a tree has been studied a few times by scientists looking at how sap pressure behaves in trees. Would I have considered chopping off saplings to collect sap 10 yrs ago....no, we hadn't considered that option until research led us to it. But then again, that is not at all unreasonable a practice for a wide variety of reasons once you understand the physiology of the tree and the mechanisms of carbohydrate storage and sap flow. Further....it is something we didn't talk about until we'd tried it for 4 yrs and knew that it would work.

So the take home is the same with or without the explanations....it is kind of crazy, it won't work well, it is overtapping, and it has been done before.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Limbs carry a lot of weight stress. I imagine a tap wound could cause a weak area that might lead to limb loss down the road.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Dr.Tim:
    Hilarious.
    301 buckets

Disappointment.........canceled! Thanks!

Though the head pressure loss is (arguably) made up for by the suction head of the drop, up to 30 feet or so if on gravity lines.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast