+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why not tap large limbs too?

Strictly fwiw....last year I did use a stepladder to tap my two huge red maples because they have burls from approx 3 ft above the ground to almost 6 ft up. So I used the stepladder to tap above the burls, using tubing (check the maple gallery link at the bottom of this post). They did produce some sap but very little compared to the usual workhorses in my lot. Overall I was disappointed, so doubt if I'll bother tapping them again :-/
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

A few times I've clipped off a tiny branch in the spring to see if sap is running--if it is, sap drips out of the end of that branch at a pretty good rate. Have been tempted to try to collect into buckets this way. May be far less than what you get from a regular tap, I realize.

I have a question about tapping guidelines--have these guidelines (taps per tree) been rigorously tested?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah View Post
    I have a question about tapping guidelines--have these guidelines (taps per tree) been rigorously tested?
    The UVM PMRC is in the middle of a multi-year, multi-faceted review of tapping guidelines. The majority of the work done earlier looked at tapping only from a wounding perspective. We are reexamining that, and also looking at it from a carbohydrate removal standpoint. Then there are lots of trade-offs, how deep to tap, how many taps, species differences, etc. that also need to be factored into the equation. Some of it is also very long-term, so it'll take at least 5 yrs to get a decent answer (and 10 yrs would be far better). We've presented some of this work at different maple conferences, but it'll be several more years before there is a comprehensive guide published.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12