+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6' finish mower OR 6' brush mower?

Default 6' finish mower OR 6' brush mower?

I am beginning to look for a three point hitch mount mower. My tires are just at about 6' wide, and I already have a 6' wide "pull type" mower.

The pull type is a bit cumbersome as our pines are growing and there's not much room, as well I figured it would be a bit more nimble with a three point attachment.

BUT the style of mower I have is a twin blade brush type cutter that could be used for finish cut as it had twin screw adjustments.

I would think I would like the fold back feature with a brush cutter, BUT I like the idea of a several blade system as I think it would cut better in the thick.

The biggest problem I have is that we live in glacier country and have lots of "taters" that pop up,.......and yes I do hit them.

The finish cut seem to all had solid mount blades.

Thoughts? Ideas? (BTW I am cheap so I would probably look for used or more inexpensive new,............nothing near 1500 bones)
    Badgerland 2x6 drop flue to fire in 2015
    Sugar Shack functional 2013.
    Home Comfort wood cook for pancake sampling.
    Hoping to grow the operation in 2017-18

look around at auctions for a brush hog at a reasonable price, you can hit things and the blades fold right back, and they recover well as long as you have enoug rpm's. i hit a rock about a foot across and sent it flying, no damage. same thing with a small tree stump, the blades fold back. of course you try not to hit things, but you cant see much in thick brush. they are pretty simple, just make sure to find one where the safety chains are decent (or make new ones), the deck is solid, and check the gearbox before you buy it to make sure its good.
    ))
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

It really depends on the type of cut you want.What Collinsmaple said was all true. I bought a cheap bush hog about ten years ago with the intention of "spending it" on a piece of land we bought that had a lot of juniper covering the rocks. Aside from welding on a few patches and straightening a few things its still going and it has vaporized plenty of "taters". The thing I dont like about them is if your ground is uneven its a real pain to follow the contour. If you're just looking to keep things open though its the tool for the job. Mine is like one of those kingcutters at TSC.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2015- 1000gph memtek RO, 3250 Taps, 1200 gallons

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

2017- 2400gph. Lapierre RO, 10" filter press, 5000 taps

What kind of power are you pulling it with and do you want to be able to take out trees? If brush hog, spend the extra cash and get one with a slip clutch and a stump jumper which allows the blades to go up and over an obstacle instead of just through it. Also be aware a 6ft brush hog of an quality is really quite heavy. My MF 265 gets light in the front end if I don't hang suitcase weights off it when its got the brush hog on.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Have you looked at a flail mower? Nicer cut than a bush hog, more capable than a finish mower. Available used within your price range. Also, they don't fling rocks like a bush hog.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Dill View Post
    If brush hog, spend the extra cash and get one with a slip clutch and a stump jumper which allows the blades to go up and over an obstacle instead of just through it..
    I'm not opposed to quality but I think even the cheaper ones come with those. I know mine does and I paid a little over $1200 new.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

My little "Bertha" cranks out a whoppin' 36 hp (tested) at the PTO.
    Badgerland 2x6 drop flue to fire in 2015
    Sugar Shack functional 2013.
    Home Comfort wood cook for pancake sampling.
    Hoping to grow the operation in 2017-18

No quite a few are shear bolts. And I know a couple guys who got sick of replacing shear bolts so a grade 8 ought to hold better? Right? Oh it seems that the gearbox shears instead.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Quote Originally Posted by Dill View Post
    No quite a few are shear bolts. And I know a couple guys who got sick of replacing shear bolts so a grade 8 ought to hold better? Right? Oh it seems that the gearbox shears instead.
    Well at least they saved the tractor!
    Sean

releaser.

Look at a used flail mower. The blades kick back when you hit something. Also if you are doing any turning they work great. They are tight to the rear of the tractor and do not swing wide when turning.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

+ Reply to Thread