+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No-Freeze Sap Runs on new drops?

Default No-Freeze Sap Runs on new drops?

This winter I spent nearly every weekend beginning in January replacing every drop in my 500 tap sugarbush. Some drops were 7-8 years old, others were newer. My reading of proctor research results indicated that it would be worth doing for increased sap production toward the end of the season. Man-oh-man has it paid off! My pipeline (22” hg.) has run nearly every day for the past week with NO FREEZE at night! Not amazing flows but sometimes 24 hrs a day!

I don’t understand it but I’m not complaining! The sap is cloudy and I am making dark and extra dark syrup but that beats the heck out of no syrup. Last year I made 77 gallons, this year I am at 60 so far and hope tomorrow’s cold snap gives me 2 more days.

Has anyone else experienced no-freeze flows after replacing drops?
    500 taps on 22" vacuum
    R.O. (50 gph)
    2 sap ladders
    Filter press
    3' X 7' homemade flat-pan evaporator
    MaineSugarworks.com

I think thats just the weather not the drops! Had very simular here for 5 days or so late in season and i have drops that are anywhere from new to 8 years old and all areas did the same
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

+ Reply to Thread