+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy syrup?????

Default Cloudy syrup?????

Hello everyone,
    Been sugaring for 15yrs an this is the first yr I've ever had cloudy syrup after bottling it. It gets dumped into filter/canner through Orlons filter with 4 prefilters inside that like I've always done. Cooled down then heated to 185 to bottle but came out really cloudy. Anyone have insight why? Boiling on a 3x10 raise flue an didn't have this issue last yr. Thanks cpmaple I lost at this point an it was the first draw off hoping it changes next draw.
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    300 on gravity and 300 buckets for 2011
    1000 total for 2012
    250 taps on shurflow pumps
    G.H.Grimm 3x10 raise flue auf
    snowmobile and grizzly 660 four wheeler
    8 beagles an 1 aussie shepherd for company
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/cpmaple/

Either the niter got through your filters or you created the niter when you reheated and bottled. The best way to tell would be to get a sample between steps. I'm guessing since you've been doing this a while, you didn't create the niter when you reheated.

Are your filters new or used? If used, could one or more have been flipped inside out or upside down? If not, could unfiltered syrup have overflown the filters and snuck around them?

On the reheat and bottle side of the process, do you have a steam pan on the bottler? Direct flame causes hot spots for niter to build up. Or, do you preheat the glass by chance? 185F syrup going into a 200F glass bottle will create niter. Lastly, any chance the bottler wasn't cleaned well before using?

Those are all stabs that you probably already considered, but maybe one triggers something to investigate. Let us know what you find out.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

New filters maybe some got by the filters since I can't pour it in an my daughter did. Might be best to dump that 4 gallons refilter an then rebottle I checked them this morning since they are in mason jars nothing has settle yet an still the same look.
    100 buckets for 09
    180 buckets for 2010
    300 on gravity and 300 buckets for 2011
    1000 total for 2012
    250 taps on shurflow pumps
    G.H.Grimm 3x10 raise flue auf
    snowmobile and grizzly 660 four wheeler
    8 beagles an 1 aussie shepherd for company
    and last a wonderful companion that lets me do all the stuff i love (maple sugaring) and doesnt ask questions!!!!!!!!!!!

http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc375/cpmaple/

+ Reply to Thread