+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not much sap on Saturday and Sunday

It's going to be sad to pull out all of my taps. At least I only have between 30 and 40 to do and not 300
    2014- 27 taps

Default Next weekend is it!

We'll boil today and maybe next Saturday and then I think it's over. It has been fun, but not a very productive year. C'est la vie!
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Looking at some of the trees over weekend. I still think we have a couple weeks still to go unless it gets crazy warm. Even some of the other early budding trees and shrubs actually look a ways off from budding out. Weather has not been especially conductive for good sap flows with the exception of a couple days this season. Planning on making syrup till April 20th. Latest to date had been April 17th about 15 years ago.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Quote Originally Posted by gmcooper View Post
    Looking at some of the trees over weekend. I still think we have a couple weeks still to go unless it gets crazy warm. Even some of the other early budding trees and shrubs actually look a ways off from budding out. Weather has not been especially conductive for good sap flows with the exception of a couple days this season. Planning on making syrup till April 20th. Latest to date had been April 17th about 15 years ago.
    I agree - the buds are still likely a couple weeks off. The bigger concern is whether we get enough cold nights. I live on a hillside that doesn't get nearly as cold as the valley below. Good for farming, not for sugaring. But with vacuum, it only takes a good frost once every few days to keep 'em flowing. Lets hope for Wednesday night!
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

I thought that last night was cold enough, and it was 27 degrees down here in the valley. Where our sugarhouse is, 300 feet higher than here was a different story. oh well, we're going to catch Thursday's run and then pack it in on the weekend.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

buds are still tight here, sap is very cloudy was making dark amber till last Friday went to b one run now commercial. going to give a good wash and see what happens does not look good . What grade are my neighbors getting ? still 2-3 feet of snow in woods

Mine went to extra dark on Sunday as well . As gmcooper said it ain't over yet . a little cold weather could turn this around . Everything is behind. On an average year the bees usually have gathered pollen from poplar trees by the 1st of April . Yesterday A. M. it was 60 , the bees had good flight , and there was still no pollen. Snow in the woods and frost under that . Might get some more runs yet . To be a farmer it helps to be a totally optimistic .
    " A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
    Mark Twain
    900 plus taps , 435 vacuum, 565 gravity
    2.5 x 10 Thor on Tsunami arch
    H2O Concentrater 300
    Squeezing Bees
    and
    Draining Trees
    Since 1980
    http://www.sparkyshoneyandmaple.com/about.html

I was making a dark medium all last week. didn't boil Sunday. yesterday the syrup was darkening all day long - ended with a fairly light grade B (Extra Dark here in Maine.)

Will drain and clean everything today, hopefully that and a potentially good freeze Wed. night will keep me out of commercial a bit longer. Though I do have orders waiting for 18 gallons of the stuff!
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

I got 33 gallons from my fifty taps yesterday...I'm hoping for close to that on Thursday. That would give me enough for one last boil. Not expecting much the other days this week. I think I'm going to pull everything this weekend. I'll need to get out at some point before Thursday night and dump my plastic 5 gallon buckets. The ones I have under big old maples turn yellow with lots of rain. I've come to believe it is the run off from the dead parts of the tops of the tree's dripping down to sit on top of my buckets.

Checked my buckets yesterday and not much from Sunday on. Most were empty and I picked up only around 20 gallons. Finished off my boil from Sunday and got a little over 4 gallons of syrup. I hope there is more to come as I would like to boil again on Thursday. I still have hope for my trees in the woods as the snow is still around. Time will only tell.
    Total Newbie 2012 Not a great year to start, but had fun anyway!!!

50 taps on tubing and buckets
    4 Pan Block Arch
    About 4 1/2 gals finished

2013 Hopefully getting smarter.
    100 taps on tubing and buckets
    5 Pan Block Arch
    About 13 gals finished

220 to 225 taps on tubing and buckets
    2x6 Lapierre raised flue
    small shed turned into sugar shack
    So much to do!!!

+ Reply to Thread