+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubing to Totes. ?Fittings, Tools?

Hybrid View

Default Tubing to Totes. ?Fittings, Tools?

I have about 100' semi rigid tubing left from tapping to 5 gal buckets. Would like to try a couple lateral lines to totes. Already have some 5/16 tees. What other fittings, tools will I need to set up the lines? Especially interested in how to end the lines. :?

Thank you!
    John

100+ Taps, 40 on 5/16 tubing

Lunchbox Vacuum/Releaser, hodorskib's Small Scale RO

3x7 Stainless Flat Pan

No chickens........yet.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/c.../Maple%20Camp/

John,

Other than spouts, you should be ok to go. You can start the line at the tree with a tee and at the tote, just make the hole snug and push the tubing right down into the tote 2 or 3 inches is what I do. Might want to lay a little weight on top of the tope if it is empty so the wind don't blow it around.

Any changes to this years setup??
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

John start your lateral on you end tree. Lets say you want to tap 5 trees on this lateral and end in a tote. Think that is what you want.

Take your end tree and use a 5/16 "Y" fitting loop around the tree and attach tubing to both tips of the y, you'll have to cut the tubing say it takes a 24 inch piece. Now you have a loop around the tree connected to a y, take your 5/16 line and attach to the straight part of the y. Run your tubing zig zagging by each tree you are going to tap or other trees along the way to keep the line up off the ground. Then since you are going to end up in a tote, you really can't put tension on the tote or it will just move. So what I have done in this instance is make an identical situation as the starting tree or last tree and do this before the tote.

Then you can get that lateral very tight and pitched and it will stay. So now you have a closed tubing system, and in order to get the sap to the tote you can cut in a t or y in that end loop and run a piece of tubing loosely to the tote. Should work just fine. Just cut in your t's from your drops at the appropriate location for your trees along the way.

I actually have a decent picture of the end loops in my 2006 maple pics, Look at 32206-13 picture. Should clear it up a bit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
    John,

Other than spouts, you should be ok to go. You can start the line at the tree with a tee and at the tote, just make the hole snug and push the tubing right down into the tote 2 or 3 inches is what I do. Might want to lay a little weight on top of the tope if it is empty so the wind don't blow it around.

Any changes to this years setup??

Thanks Brandon.

About the same set-up. I still enjoy boiling outside with your old pan.

Looks like it will be extra muddy this year. Planning to used the tote (44gal) and latterals to lessen treading in it. Would also like to arrange some black water pipe and a pump get it accross the creek.
    John

3x7 Stainless Flat Pan

No chickens........yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    .......Would also like to arrange some black water pipe and a pump get it accross the creek.
    EUREKA!!!

John my best box elders are all locked in by a creek and a lateral ditch about 15' deep....private property on the other side makes it very hard to access without wading or climbing. I had actually thought about a small bridge to get to it, or floating out sap in a drum by canoe and then pumping it up to a bridge.....30 feet of gravity fed water pipe will giterdun a whole lot easier.

I probably have 30-40 mature box elders over there, and a lot of nice silver maples too. Thanks for the idea.......dang I like the website!!!!
    Leader 1/2 pint
    43 taps on Silver Maples
    and a blood tracking weiner dog

“Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left”
    Aldo Leopold

Any one know any thing about the Rule pumps with automatic on feature? I wired mine up and it seems to have a 30-40 second delay before the pump kicks on. That is not going to be acceptable. I want it to start as soon as I put it in the tote. I do have a option of wiring in a switch but thought the pump with out a float would be the way to go? Any ideas would be helpful.
    It is a Rule 2000 Automatic.
    Other than that it may work OK. Still a few bugs to work out as usual and a half mile of tubing to string.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

If you read your instructions that is a feature built into the pump. That pump was designed to be used in a boat bildge. The delay kepts it from cycling with only just a little bit of water. In other words the water has to be several inches deep. Mine does the small thing.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Fred,
    I will look at the instructions again. I know that they show a switch with both the brown wires going to that. One side is the auto feature and the other is manual. So I may just have to go to the manual switch side of the circuit. I don't want to wait 30 seconds for it to kick on. I could have bought a cheaper pump and added a float switch. Oh well live and learn. It does pump. I did a trial last night in the garage and looks like this LOW TECH system may work. I wired it in to the parking lights, through the 4 prong connector.

We have snowy conditions today in Erie.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks for the reply and the pictures Matt. You have a great looking setup there!
    John

3x7 Stainless Flat Pan

No chickens........yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast