+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pulling New Clear CV

Pulled almost 2300, with none actually breaking. A few the tip came off uf, but no big deal. I much prefer the CV2 because they're clear (so you can see leaks), and reasons Walling's mentioned, especially the way they seal better. Like Brian said, it used to be after a hard freeze, it seemed like half the taps needs reseating to stop leaks.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

Is it possible that the breakage issue is related to not using a proper tool to pull spouts? I have used a couple different "spout pullers" through the years and this year switched to a Loac aluminum tool I got through CDL. This is a far superior tool to the cheaper models and is designed for pulling modern spouts. I don't see how you could break a spout if using this tool.

I was talking to someone that was saying how much of a pain pulling spouts is and I asked what tool he uses. He said he uses a hammer.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I actually bent the handle on my puller so it had more of an angle on it and it helped pull the cv2 with one motion. It seems that there is a little more sticking out with the cv2 and I needed a little more reach. I always pull taps with tool above the spout and push it back straight against the tree. I had the tip come off of 2 before bending puller handle, both required more than one stroke.
    Jared

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Is it possible that the breakage issue is related to not using a proper tool to pull spouts? I have used a couple different "spout pullers" through the years and this year switched to a Loac aluminum tool I got through CDL. This is a far superior tool to the cheaper models and is designed for pulling modern spouts. I don't see how you could break a spout if using this tool.

I was talking to someone that was saying how much of a pain pulling spouts is and I asked what tool he uses. He said he uses a hammer.
    Over the years, we have used many different kinds of pullers. I now own 2 of the Loac pullers. We have used these for 2 years now. They definitely are the best puller we have used. " You get what you pay for"

i read that these are one time use? what's the reason behind that.

Quote Originally Posted by sergeaubin View Post
    i read that these are one time use? what's the reason behind that.
    Microbes cause the taphole to close. Using a new spout every year reduces microbial contamination and extends the effective production period of the taphole.

Welcome to MapleTrader! There is tons of info on this subject here, and the search function works pretty well.
    Last edited by GeneralStark; 10-25-2014 at 06:16 AM.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Microbes cause the taphole to close. Using a new spout every year minimizes microbial contamination and maximizes production.

Welcome to MapleTrader! There is tons of info on this subject here, and the search function works pretty well.
    Just using a new spout every year will not maximize your production. Using a CV2 spout will maximize your production because it will not allow bacteria from the drop back into the tap hole. CV2 spouts should be used on the third year of you're tubing and then every year after that.

Spud

I changed it to minimize confusion.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO

As stated above, on 1250 CV2 we broke about 5 or 6. We will continue to use them for 2 main reasons, they seal better and if you have a leak at the tap you can see it. That makes finding and fixing leaks much faster.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123