+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: no flow today ?

Don you are right it cant hurt to leave em in so thats what i will do hopefully we both get a good run soon

Quote Originally Posted by sugar daddy 1 View Post
    Sap runs best under high pressure, boiling sap is better under high pressure. We boiled till 3 am Wed. Hadn't froze yet. To get a good run it needs to be frozen for about 10 hrs. Sunday was a big run for us took in over 3000 gal of sap. Some loads over 3.5 % sugar.
    How's it going Sugar Daddy? This year is weird for sure. In all your records did you have any years where it stayed bitter cold like this year and the 1st run wasn't until March 14th then cold again for a week straight then warmed up to just above freezing and stayed there? Can it really only be a 2 week season with very little flow? I can't believe it would be done yet. Buds aren't opening cause it's not warm enough but sap isn't flowing cause we're not getting below 32 F temps for 10 hours to freeze and make it flow...

thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by DonMcJr View Post
    How's it going Sugar Daddy? This year is weird for sure. In all your records did you have any years where it stayed bitter cold like this year and the 1st run wasn't until March 14th then cold again for a week straight then warmed up to just above freezing and stayed there? Can it really only be a 2 week season with very little flow? I can't believe it would be done yet. Buds aren't opening cause it's not warm enough but sap isn't flowing cause we're not getting below 32 F temps for 10 hours to freeze and make it flow...

thoughts ?

This year was our latest start ever the sap was running just couldn't get all tapped. This year every warm up was with rain and low pressure. This happens a lot. Last weekend it broke loose for us.(high pressure good freeze Sat.night) Sugar is still so that means its not over, haven't heard the frogs yet. The trees haven't started to bud yet, the silvers don't have buds yet. Get ready for this weekend should be a good one. Into next week another freeze on tues. So it will be an average season. In 1963 we went till April 17. So be patient it's not over.

Sugar Daddy just woke up and took dogs out here on the SW side if Michigan I am hearing my first frogs. Hope it freezes good this weekend only made just under 15 gallons and I have people wanting syrup.
    First year 2012 34 taps 4 steam pans on blocks
    2013 130 taps on homemade sap bag holders trying new fuel oil tank and 2 x 4 divided pan made 42 gallons of liquid gold
    2014 Bought English tin drop flue 3 by 10 pans each 5 ft long Made arch for them. 83 taps on gravity 138 taps on sap bags
    2015 268 taps on gravity short season oonly made 52 gallons
    2016 328 tap on shurflo sold sap to help pay for stainless pans

Yep just let my dogs out and heard frogs too...bah!!!

Well I am thinking the Barometric pressure has a lot to do with the flow too and that would probally follow high and low temps.

It's been over 30.1 and pretty much steady there except for a few drops but not huge drops and today it dropped down to 29.5 and it's starting to flow a little more...below 30 tonight and tomorrow night so I hope my FLOODS coming!

So Steady Barometric pressures no flow...huge drop some flow...now I am hoping tomorrow after this freezing night the pressure give a huge SPIKE and FLOOD!!!

No flow the last couple of days. Buds look they are begginning to open -
    red and furry . Once I can see green it is over . Temops below freezing
    the next couple of days so we'll see . I've got about 175 in the tank and
    looking to boil it down this weekend . Just over 10 gal so far this season
    and will probably end up with about 15 total . Probably pull my taps
    Sun or Mon - I'm really tired !!!!!

well still nothing for me

no flow here either. Kind of ironic just took dogs out and my lawn turned white again and there is still peepers singing.
    2013 130 taps on homemade sap bag holders trying new fuel oil tank and 2 x 4 divided pan made 42 gallons of liquid gold
    2014 Bought English tin drop flue 3 by 10 pans each 5 ft long Made arch for them. 83 taps on gravity 138 taps on sap bags

Just got back from the bush. Put bags on after this high wind yesterday only 4 fell. A lot were starting to drip saps looks clear but when I looked up some of the buds are starting to open but most are not even big yet. Question I have is it taste like sap no funny taste not really sure what I am looking for in buddy sap though. Will I be okay you think because most of the tree don't even look like they are ready to open just the ones that are way up there maybe 10% of the tree buds are huge and look like they are open or real close (Looked with binoculars to see buds).

Ken...I been doing syrup for 4 years now and have never had buddy sap. My experience it the taps just stop flowing. I think we warm up and stay warm before the sap gets buddy or at least we have the past 4 years...

If you have buddy sap I have been told you will know by the smell especially when you start to boil. So if you suspect it I'd boil some in a separate pan than in your evap pan if you have sweet already that you want to add to...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast