+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covering your evaporator

Thanks all for your input,

Finally i'll go with SS as my evaporator vendor accepted to build me one urgently.

Good season all

Giving some thought to having a one piece stainless steel cover made for my 2x6 dropflue. For those using a stainless, what gauge would you recommend (thinking about the weight)?

Thanks

Rusty

I had my biggest pan cover made using 24 ga SS, the float boxes vary in gauge, I just stopped at my local tin shop and picked out pieces from their cut table that were big enough to work, as such they likely vary from 24 ga to 28 ga. As stated in a post above from years ago, I have a cover for everything from my front pan, (the flue pan has a tight hood) to each float box, my 2x6 finisher, my bottler and even the catch pan under my filter press plates, my draw off tank and my mixing tank off the finisher for mixing DE. Every one is in place when not being actively used.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Dave !

I have my operation in my pole barn. Birds can come and go. I cover everything with SS covers.

John good point. I had stainless covers for my syrup pan and float boxes made by Smoky Lake when they built my front pan.
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

I made my covers with a piece of sheet aluminum leftover from the new body on my sons racecar. Its just a cover i figured why waste money on stainless. its better than the plywood my buddy uses. Lol.
    25 years sugaring
    2018 191taps. Made 80 gallons
    Two taps to a 5 gallon bucket roadside trees.
    A retired dad to hump buckets and do most of the boiling the great wife that let's me spend lots of time and money.
    New Smokey lake 2×6 raised flue SSR on my own version of the silverplate arch.
    2019 new hood and new preheater concept that worked great.
    306 taps roadside trees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12