+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April 2014 flow report

Default April 2014 flow report

Figured I'd get it going since we are down to less than 2 hours left in March. Report your flows and let us know when you have starting getting the dreaded buddy sap...
    2014 36 taps, 2 steam pans on a barrel evaporator. 1.5 gallons of syrup
    2013 17 taps, 2 steam pans on a block arch. 1.1 gallons syrup.

Just a hobbyist, but with about 85 taps I ended up with a little over 6 gallons of syrup. That's less than half of what I had by this time last year (and I have more taps this time)!

Will be tasting the sap regularly once it starts flowing again later this week to check for bud out.

SugarShackJack here. My guys in the bush are reporting the trees are GUSHING today. Guess we will have a long couple of days of cooking and gathering. Told a friend we are up to our shoulders in mud and sap. I'm in southeast Mi. This is what we have been praying for.

Just went and checked my trees in the southwest (between grand rapids and Kalamazoo) and my trees are not dripping need the freeze tonight. Yesterday got 200 gallons but boy wind sure is blowing and its getting cold.
    First year 2012 34 taps 4 steam pans on blocks
    2013 130 taps on homemade sap bag holders trying new fuel oil tank and 2 x 4 divided pan made 42 gallons of liquid gold
    2014 Bought English tin drop flue 3 by 10 pans each 5 ft long Made arch for them. 83 taps on gravity 138 taps on sap bags
    2015 268 taps on gravity short season oonly made 52 gallons
    2016 328 tap on shurflo sold sap to help pay for stainless pans

What will buddy sap taste like? This is our first year

50miles west of albany n.y. got 750 gallons of 600 taps. 270 on gravity rest on buckets. kept 350 gallons ,sold the other 400.

Default Vicksburg

No sap run here today. Collected 1-2 gallons from each tap Monday evening, but it came to dead stop today.

It was runnin good for me the last 2days but nothin today for me is that normal this is my first year so im not sure thought i would get a good run today guess i was wrong

Nothing for me today either Austin... and I'm only about 12 miles from St. Clair... and it went down to 27 F last night too! Weird...I do have to say the last 3 years it was done by April 15th... But heck it just started my 1st boil was Saturday and I'm luck if I have 2 Gallons of Syrup and last year I made 13 Gallons!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowdog64 View Post
    What will buddy sap taste like? This is our first year
    we judge by taste (if its bitter its bad) and smell (stick your nose in close and it will smell like either flour or a bakery) you will know the smell its very distinct, plus its usually cloudy by that time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast