+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Upper Peninsula 2014

Hey Guys,,,and girls.

My season is done. Poured out any sap last couple days. Wrong colour and smell for me to boil. Going to start pulling all taps out tomorrow and then the giant wash up programme. Kinda sad the season was so short, but happy we had a season.

I hope all had a reasonable good season and next year can only be better.

Thank-you to all here at Maple Trader once again for so much good advice and also for sharing their stories.

I do want to learn more about mainlines and laterals for next year for sure.

I wish everyone a safe "off sap season" and all the best to all !!

Terry
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

Sunday I got somewhere around 600 gallons of sap, but it was only 1.5%. Drew off a little over 8 gallons of syrup. Yesterday sugar content was down to 1.3%, only got about 125 gallons. I was out doing some cleaning a couple hours ago, I got sick of hearing the vacuum pump, the releaser hadn't dumped in the couple hours I was out there, so I shut it off and turned on the radio. Around 12:30 I could hear water running, I thought it had started raining, so I went outside and it was sap running in the tank. Flipped the vacuum pump back on and it dumped about every 3 minutes. I check the bags and the were running good too. It was kinda neat to hear it start running at night, hopefully it'll stay running.

Quote Originally Posted by regor0 View Post
    Sunday I got somewhere around 600 gallons of sap, but it was only 1.5%. Drew off a little over 8 gallons of syrup. Yesterday sugar content was down to 1.3%, only got about 125 gallons. I was out doing some cleaning a couple hours ago, I got sick of hearing the vacuum pump, the releaser hadn't dumped in the couple hours I was out there, so I shut it off and turned on the radio. Around 12:30 I could hear water running, I thought it had started raining, so I went outside and it was sap running in the tank. Flipped the vacuum pump back on and it dumped about every 3 minutes. I check the bags and the were running good too. It was kinda neat to hear it start running at night, hopefully it'll stay running.
    Depending on what forecast you look at it is freezing again in a couple days.

We are all done here.

Pulled the taps and boiling down the last of the sap.

All in all it was a pretty good season.

Boiling now, 4 gallons so far tonight, I'm hanging in there till it's buddy. I got about 100 gallons today.

The last few days we have been making about 100 gallons a day but it has an off flavor. It may be starting to get buddy. The buyers also buy that as c so we are going to keep going as long as we can. We got 2000 gallons of sap during the night.

Probably making the last boil of the season. Best tasting syrup of the season coming off the evaporator tonight.
    Trees still have no signs of buds yet, just to warm.

Quote Originally Posted by regor0 View Post
    Probably making the last boil of the season. Best tasting syrup of the season coming off the evaporator tonight.
    Trees still have no signs of buds yet, just to warm.
    Do you have any reds tapped? I have about 5% of them and never had a problem before since it seems I can never get that far before the trees shut down.

I have 60% reds 40% sugar. Still running today, may have one more boil yet.

Sap ran great today, around 500 gallons. First day without snowshoes! Looks like tomorrow could be good too. Yeah, depression is postponed a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112