+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pulled the plug

Default pulled the plug

My first year produced about 3.5 gal. of syrup.With warm weather coming and a granddaughter coming I pulled all my buckets today.Slowed up with warm weather today.Interesting reading about tapping walnut trees.I have many more walnuts than I do maple, walnuts are closer and easier to get to.Might try that next year. Sure learned a lot reading everyones posts.

How interesting how we have the same hobby and how geography affects us.
    You are done and I have not even started.
    Maybe my trees are dripping today, not home to check them.
    I don't know who is better off, lol.
    Hope your year was great and congratulations to the new family member soon.
    2011- 35 taps, ,,,milk juggs and buckets-propane turkey fryer !!
    2012 -75 taps,,,,, 40 on tubing into buckets, and 35 buckets - 3nd hand Homemade arch, brutal.
    2013- Just over 115 taps and still adding more.
    2014, new SS flat pan and new arch built, guessing 75-100 taps this year.
    2015, 50 taps on Shurflo pump.
    2016- Getting a line across my creek this year.
    2017-took a year off, Jamaica was fun !
    2018- 45 trees tapped, keeping it fun !

warmer?
    it is too cold for a run here today. but I expect a really good run tomorrow.
    To late for this year, but a half mile down the road I can tap a whole bunch of black walnuts. we discussed it over some hard cider. nice chat.

Yes and I just started boiling last night here in SE Michigan... but with the Buds opening on trees other than Maples I'm starting to think this is going to be a short 2 week season for me then DONE!

Quote Originally Posted by DonMcJr View Post
    Yes and I just started boiling last night here in SE Michigan... but with the Buds opening on trees other than Maples I'm starting to think this is going to be a short 2 week season for me then DONE!
    I have never made this much syrup on so few buckets. also never in this short of a time.
    Sweetest sap I have ever seen... unless I forgot a few collections, hit 39 to 1 on one collection. low forties on others. last night was trending back up though. but.. we have had 70 and even 80 here before.

My sap has been sweeter this year as well. On my second boil tonight, almost done. 210 gal of sap so far this year. Looked at the buckets today and they are almost full. Between today and tomorrow I will have another 100gal to boil. Next two days will hit 60s but then drop back to 40s for the week.
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

Quote Originally Posted by TreeTapper2 View Post
    My sap has been sweeter this year as well. On my second boil tonight, almost done. 210 gal of sap so far this year. Looked at the buckets today and they are almost full. Between today and tomorrow I will have another 100gal to boil. Next two days will hit 60s but then drop back to 40s for the week.
    I am glad yours has been good this year too!
    I bet it goes like gang busters tomorrow! at least here.

+ Reply to Thread