+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something's got to give...

Default Something's got to give...

Heading into the end of March without a single boil to date is not typical or comforting. We tapped 2 weeks ago, and have about 3" frozen solid in most of the buckets. Some might be due to our micro climate, but much of Vermont has had record cold temperatures this month. I just hope it doesn't swing to the opposite, with drastically warm temps 'round the clock and then the inevitable buds - this could be a very short season for us. By this time in 2011, we'd collected a record amount of sap per tap. Interesting but unsettling.

The 10 day forecast is looking pretty good. Maybe the cold trend we've been having all winter will stay with us through April.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2015- 1000gph memtek RO, 3250 Taps, 1200 gallons

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

2017- 2400gph. Lapierre RO, 10" filter press, 5000 taps

Visited a sugarmaker in Stowe last weekend who has 9800 taps. He had yet to light a match.

Your forecast might be favorable. Mine down here is pathetic. Looks like it may be getting too warm too soon for me.
    Leader WSE 2x6 w/hoods
    12"x20" Mason Finisher
    250 taps.. Majority on tubing
    14'x20' sugarshack
    Kubota RTV900XT
    Home built Auto Drawoff
    Leader MicRO 2 RO
    www.mallardpondmaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by stoweski View Post
    Visited a sugarmaker in Stowe last weekend who has 9800 taps. He had yet to light a match.

Your forecast might be favorable. Mine down here is pathetic. Looks like it may be getting too warm too soon for me.
    I am still dry...

Don't panic... I am not.

I am in the deep south of Vermont, but in the snow belt at 2000' with my sugarbush above me.

The National Weather Service long range forecasts still show no change in the below normal temps for the north, and northeastern U.S., and high temps in the west. I watch 5 different weather forecasts, including the NWS. Most keep forecasting warmer temps than I get. Today, most forecast in the low to mid forties, and I never got over 39, and I am buried in snow and ice. I feel like it is one big ice box here, with 2 feet of snow all around me.
    Check these NOAA Long Range forecasts
    8-14 day
    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...ctions/814day/
    30 Day
    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...ictions/30day/
    Eric of the Greens... I Fly Solo...
    2013-15 Block arch to having it all...
    2016...320 on vacuum. 155 gravity, 90 buckets.
    All homemade equipment except Smokey Lake pans.
    2x6 arch, Electric releaser w/ Gast 1023 24" vacuum
    2x4x40 RO w/ dual 265gph Procons
    My PWS with webcam... https://www.wunderground.com/persona...READS2#history

It looks like this week will be the turning point for us. The lines gravity fed about 10 gallons several times this year. Just a giant ice cube in the tank.
    425 trees on Vacuum
    Airiblo 3/4
    100 buckets
    Lapierre Mechanical releaser
    L3700 SU

There goes March, without a boil - a first for us. We gathered a modest amount this weekend but not enough to fire up. It's in nature's cold storage now, waiting to be combined with the first full-tilt run which I hope comes along soon. Snow cover near the tree base is no problem. We have between 2 and 3 feet in most places.

This thread is from last year, but the story is very much the same.
    173 on 3/16 natural vac for 2023
    36 buckets
    2 x 5 Smoky Lake Hybrid pan on a custom arch
    RB25 from RO Bucket
    12x24 salvaged sugarhouse built by wife's grandpa
    1965 Massey Ferguson 165 tractor to haul sap.

Over here in central NY we still have not boiled either. Last year my first boil was on 3/27, based on the forecast it may be again this year. In 2014 I was tapped by 1/20, this year we waited and finished about 6 days ago on newly added taps, a week earlier on the old taps. Last Sat. the temps went up to 38 degrees, so I ran the vacuum pumps (2), I burned 9 gal. of gas to get about 6 gal of sap. Late this week and all of the next 2+ weeks look good here, if only the ground thaws some.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Over here in NH I have done better than the rest of you. I boiled 2 times and have made 20 gallons of syrup. Last year I only boiled 5 times in the month of March which was a new low. With Maple Weekend coming up I will boil 2 more times and if I am lucky I may match last years 5 boils or beat it by 1. Unheard of for my location. March is usually when we make our syrup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Nothing here yet have about fifty gallons in tanks sitting like a block of ice today those **** cold winds blew all day and Saturday the same and 4 degrees tonight then the warm up starts, well well what is a person to do PACE BACK AND FORTH THAT IS WHAT
    10x21 sugar house
    400 taps
    227 gravity pipeline
    Rest Buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast