+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repackaging Bulk

Buy local from another producer that sells in bulk before he sells to the big packers at least it stays local and label the same and only tell if they ask and explain how the year went and maybe blend the bought syrup with your own that way your customers still technically are getting some of your produced syrup

We have a couple of different sales avenues and syrup from different sources for each of them. They syrup we sell at farmers markets, neighbors and land owners all comes from our farm. I've generally been able to meet all my local demand that way.

We also sell syrup in bulk to restaurants and other bulk users of syrup, including some drum buyers overseas. Those customers are coming to us to buy syrup, not just syrup produced on our farm. We have close personal relationships with all our buyers which helps them choose us over a larger packer. They (for the most part) don't care that we didn't produce it all, they just want a good price and a value added service. For that syrup we try to work directly with other producers so they can get a good price on their bulk and we can prevent buying "blended" or "mixed" syrup from a large packer. We try to buy as close to home as possible to keep the taste similar as well.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Why not come up with a completely different brand for this product. Completely disassociate it from your product and just declare that you are giving your customers more options and meeting the local demand. You could easily create a brand that your customers love and would appreciate. You're still providing something goooooood. Just convey it.

We have a local that repackages many types of bulk sugars. He produces nothing but you can tell the locals like his products and he gets as much credits as if he actually made it.
    ~ John

50 Reds, Silvers, Norways and Sugar Maple taps. 4' diameter round Amish made SS wood fired evaporator.

Sean, just a thought- Is licensing required in MA for syrup sales or are farms exempt? If you're licensed, what does your license cover? I'm thinking here that as a reseller you may or may not fall into different licensing laws or regs. That may be something you'd want to look into before buying bulk.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Thanks all for the great responses. You've given me a lot of options to think about.

Thanks,
    Sean

I find customers are very receptive to the concept of "trading" amongst other farmers. With Apples I may have a shortage of one variety and a surplus of another variety so I can "trade" and customers seem to like the idea. It may amount to trading a box of X plus $$$ for a truckload of Y, but they don't need to know the details.

I also find that I can start a long story about how many trees, and how much production, and before I get to revealing that this product isn't mine the customer will ask questions or lose interest, so we never get to the point anyway.

I also like Sanders idea - you can say " I am sold out of mine, but I do have this brand that was made by a friend of mine in east overshoe. I know it is good as I bottled it myself.

Even though I have kept expanding my tap count most years, I have had to buy bulk about 4 of my last 10 seasons. I do the density checking, flavor checking, proper packaging and I stand behind it. My name is thus on the label. If anyone asks I tell them that I sometimes have to buy high quality syrup to meet my sales demand.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana-Jones View Post
    What are you going to say if someone asks questions about the syrup's production or your bush.... and on and on? Do you come clean and explain you had a poor crop and had to buy bulk from who knows who.

My cent and a half worth, if syrup sales are that large part of your income and you can't take the short fall, bottle and label yours as always, bump up the price to a premium. Buy the bulk, label it as processed by you to your standards and give your customers a choice. Explain the situation and I bet you come out a head in the end with a clean conscious.
    I like this approach - especially if you can partner with local producers - but the catch is that if you had a low year, probably everyone else did. It's honest and transparent and lets the consumer make an informed decision whether they want to help you out if they know you've had a tough year - and most importantly, trust you forever. One of the most important differentiating advantages of a small producer is that we control everything end-to-end and can vouch for it at a level way beyond what is in a grocery store - and I find that people are willing to pay a premium for that - so they deserve to get our total transparent honesty in return.

As I got into this, I was very surprised to discover how many maple operations re-process syrup and don't tell consumers. If people understood how widespread that practice is, they might not be so inclined to seek out individual producers, which hurts all of us. They could just go to Ocean State Job Lot and buy a quart for $13. Some of these comments sound like very weak rationalizations of why it's OK to undercut that approach to maintain your earnings. It's a very slippery slope from high value small producer to industrial scale food supply chain. If people wince when they find out you repackaged with no disclosure that it's not from your operation, that should make it that much more clear that they deserve this clarity up front. One of the worst things I see in our area is Hannaford marketing a bulk repacker's syrup that happens to be based in our county as "local" with special display tags. And 99% of the buyers are probably none the wiser.

I realize this is not the dominant opinion, probably offends some people, and it's easy to say when it's not a primary source of income. But I think once you're repackaging, you should be competing in the repackaged commodity market - not the on-farm market that wants to go see where there syrup was made and know the people and place that made it. We at least owe consumers in that market total transparency to make an informed decision, as suggested by the user above. It might even reinforces the premium value of your own personal "brand!"

We always add some of ‘our’ syrup to all batches of bulk syrup. Every jug or bottle we sell actually does have some of our syrup in it. This is how we address this issue in our FAQ’s page:

Does all Maine Sugarworks syrup come from the trees on your property?

No, we have several maple stands that we tap some are next to our home others are on different farms. We also purchase some bulk Maine syrup to blend with ours. All syrup is blended* The sap from each individual tree is blended with the sap of other trees, the sap from different sap births is blended together before it is boiled each night, and many days' syrup production is blended together for bottling. Before bottling, we sample, discuss and choose the best blend
    according to flavor. It is all about flavor; we pride ourselves on the delicious rich flavor of our maple syrup.

* Actually I have a buddy, Peter in Kingfield, Me. who taps 1 tree each year! 1 hole, 1 spile, 1 bucket and 1 lid! He boils on his kitchen stove and bottles in baby food jars with an awesome label. His production operation is the only one I know of that is not blended!
    500 taps on 22" vacuum
    R.O. (50 gph)
    2 sap ladders
    Filter press
    3' X 7' homemade flat-pan evaporator
    MaineSugarworks.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12