+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BUSCH Rotary claw dry pump?

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    What do you have for a releaser? If a mechanical releaser is full when it freezes it sucks the next morning.
    Well actually it does not suck at all.
    I have an electric releaser in a heated room.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I have a 51cfm pump on 3000 taps, I have a north and west facing exposure. trust me when the pump is off the sap is frozen. I have a mechanical releaser in a heated building. Here is my reasoning for a Busch Pump. I had a liquid ring pump and it did ok as far as the vacuum went but the maintenace was a PITA for me. My set up is in a remote location away from the sugar house, I had to pump service water to it and keep a fan on it to keep it cool . When the weather was cold I had to keep it from freezing, as the weather warmed I needed to try to keep it cool. as the season progressed it was harder to keep vacuum . So I spent the money and bought what I felt was best for me.
    Last edited by Dave Y; 03-27-2014 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    I have an electric releaser in a heated room.
    I know I would run vac 24/7 if I could have that situation. Unfortunately my releaser is 1600' from power. Keep thinking about building an insulated box around it. Has anybody done that for a remote mechanical?
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

It is indeed the ideal situation and was a key component in the design of my new sugarhouse. In my previous situation I had a mechanical releaser in a plywood box on the tank and would put a heat lamp in the box to keep the releaser from freezing up. But, it was only 40' from the sugarhouse. 1600' is a different story.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tmeeeh View Post
    We installed a 3 hp BUSCH pump last season. It is quieter and uses less power than the liquid ring pumps we were using before. No cooling water or oil needed. The unit runs cool to the touch all season long. The VFD speed control with the vacuum transducer is way more sensitive to vacuum level than a regular vacuum gauge or by feeling how much air is blowing out of the pump. A quick glance at the VFD digital readout will tell you how tight your system is. We bought our pump after the 2012 season some shopping around and asking for competitive bids form the dealers lead to a 30% discount off the regular price. I was surprised to find that Leader offered the best price delivered to us by our local dealer. The thing is quite heavy.
    Hi Tim, You should have told me you were on the maple trader when you stopped at my sugar house Sunday. I'm going to upgrade my RO situation first then maybe we can talk about your Busch pump some more. I want to know more about the VFD and your long term experiences with it.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

We are using two VFDs now. One to control the vacuum pump and the other to control a sap transfer pump. I understand they are starting to be used in RO machines instead of valves to control pressure and flow speeds while concentrating and while washing. They are computer controlled inverters. They can be destroyed by lightning or power surges so they need surge suppressors. I disconnect them from the power supply in the off season. I bought mine online. There are lots to choose from. Look for one that can take single phase input and output three phase. Most of them take three phase input, if you use one of those you need to oversize the VFD by 30%. The VFDs are capable of doing lots of different things. Finding the section in the manual that applies to our use takes a while. Then understanding the directions of how to set it up also takes a while. Once set up they work great. They provide motor speed control and overload protection in one box. A regular motor starter isn't needed to prevent motor burnout or a fire. I get the feeling that they have a shorter lifespan than the motor or the pump but I don't know that. I consulted with the electrician at Bascom before setting it up. I got mine online after looking at the one bascom was selling with the 3 HP Busch pump. I would be happy to show you mine.
    http://www.northfamilyfarm.com

Tim
    2,500 taps on two pipelines
    Busch Vacuum Pump
    MES Three Phase Three Post RO
    2X10 Leader Vortex Max Flue pan, Enhanced Steamaway
    Electricity made with wind and solar

I'm in my third year with my Busch setup, and love it. 3hp 59 cfm for 2200 taps, maintaining 27-28 inches right now, and going to look for more leaks today. I have only a single electric moisture trap, which did it's job the one time it has needed to. The only trouble I ever had was putting too thick an oil in it for off season storage one year. Was shutting down on high amperage, but I also found I had to set the upper limit for amps, too. Now I use WD40 at end of season, or whenever it will be off for an extended period. Using with electric releaser with Goulds centrifugal pump, and has worked flawlessly.

Tim
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Y View Post
    spud, I bought a 51 cfm Busch pump for this season. So far it has performed flawlessly. Mine has a vfd and a single phase to three phase converter running it along with a Johnson temp control. It is true that you should not get water in one. However, there are ways to ensure that you do not. I have a manual and electric moisture traps ahead of my pump. The electric trap will shut the pump off. Call Lapierre in Swanton. They come pretty much plug and play. All you have to do is connect the power.
    Do you happen to have a picture of how the Johnson control is wired to the VFD? I have the same setup - a Busch pump with a Yaskawa V1000 VFD, but would like to add the Johnson temperature control.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Raining1 View Post
    Do you happen to have a picture of how the Johnson control is wired to the VFD? I have the same setup - a Busch pump with a Yaskawa V1000 VFD, but would like to add the Johnson temperature control.
    Raining1....you might note that this thread is originally from about 7.5 yrs ago. You might have better luck on these old threads (topics) by starting a new thread specific to your particular question, or even better, first try to Private Message (through MapleTrader) the person who specifically had info about your question so their attention is brought to your query. Otherwise, people might not even bother reading it.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12