+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High % sugar sap - no sugar sand

Default High % sugar sap - no sugar sand

We've made 98 gal of syrup. Had some loads of sap come in over 4%. But no sugar sand in the filter press , just late season slime. Can only run 20 ish gal then change out the press,

sugar daddy,
    I experienced the same thing with the niter being very minimal. My first two runs made medium amber instead of the usual light amber I would normally get early on. Was your syrup darker than normal? Mine seemed nice and light going in to the finishing pan of my raised flue setup.
    2011 140 taps on flat 2x6
    2012 175 taps on Leader WSE
    2013 215 taps on Leader WSE
    2014 300 taps on shiny new Sunrise 2x6 raised flue
    25% sap sacks, 25% gravity lines, 50% 5 gal. buckets
    constant sampling for quality control

Yes, the best we made was MA, what a crazy season. Doesn't look good next week it might be over :-(

No light amber for us up in carson city, just medium amber. Average sugar sand, syrup is filtering fine. Combined sap is 2.8%.

Sugar still high had a load come in off the road trees at 4%. Made another 33 gal of syrup little darker DA.

Made 48 gal MA today, still haven't had to clean the front pan, which is very unusual. The sugarsand this year so far is like fine silt and flows out with the draw off. I've only had this 1 other year, 8 or 9 years ago. I like it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Default Good stuff

Our sugar content has been 2.5%, my first 2 pints was darker than normal, with some sand. My second 2 pints was BEEEE-U-TEEE-FULL! It was light grade A and no sand at all. Boiling my next batch right now. Good season so far.
    2012 - 14 PVC taps. Milk jugs and 5 gallon buckets. Propane burner and stainless brew kettle. 1-1/2 gallons of syrup
    2013 - 40 Smart Spouts, 3 on 5 gallon buckets, 35 on milk jugs. Cinder block arch, 2 steam table pans. 200 Gallons Collected, 150 oz. processed.
    2014 - 24 Smart Spouts. 15 on tubes going to 5 gallon buckets, 9 on milk jugs. Cinder block arch. 2 steam table pans. Collected 100 gallons, processed 20 pints!
    2015 - So far set 13 taps. No flow yet.

+ Reply to Thread