+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Dark Syrup

My last two boils were substantially darker. getting to the color and flavor I like. Several people who are waiting for syrup are holding out for darker yet.
    Russell if I do not get enough good and dark to blend the light stuff with I might just take you up on that!
    But I have to make one thing clear. I am not a legal producer for sale. I wanted to do it. but after talking to our health dept. several years ago, I do not and did not have the 50 g's it was going to take to make them happy on facility improvements. especially since I am only hobby sized. I produce between 10 and 30 gal. our best ever was 36 gal. So building a commercial kitchen at now over 50 g's is not really an option... Oh I wish Maple was through the dept. of AG here in Il...

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    My last two boils were substantially darker. getting to the color and flavor I like. Several people who are waiting for syrup are holding out for darker yet.
    Russell if I do not get enough good and dark to blend the light stuff with I might just take you up on that!
    But I have to make one thing clear. I am not a legal producer for sale. I wanted to do it. but after talking to our health dept. several years ago, I do not and did not have the 50 g's it was going to take to make them happy on facility improvements. especially since I am only hobby sized. I produce between 10 and 30 gal. our best ever was 36 gal. So building a commercial kitchen at now over 50 g's is not really an option... Oh I wish Maple was through the dept. of AG here in Il...
    Here in NH maple syrup is considered an agricultural product and we are inspected by dept of agriculture inspectors. For the farmers it is considered the first harvest of the year. I don't run my sugar house as a business, it's just a hobby business. They don't make us build commercial kitchens to sell our products but do recommend things like concrete floors, a rest room and hot water. I use the hot water from my steam hood and can heat some up in my canner if needed. My house is about 60' away and I bring it down from there too. The only thing that I don't have is the rest room.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Russell

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the detailed answer. Hope your season goes well.

Mounder

I noticed I too have a little more sugar sands but not alot. Had a college class out on Tuesday. Collected 180 gals Monday night. Running hard today. My wife is holding down the fort today and I plan to cook tomorrow as soon as I get home. Not sue what my total amount for the season but I'm pushing 25 gallons with more to come. Sap was down to 2% on Monday.

WiSugar Pop

My good friend moved up to your neighborhood last summer. Trying to get him going with sugaring as well. Marked enough trees for him to have 120 taps or so. Hope he jumps in next season!

Good luck all!
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    Wood Fired 2X6 with piggy back
    Great family & friends to help
    One expensive hobby!

Flatlander,
    Where did your friend move to. He is welcome to stop over and see our operation.
    150 on 3/16 gravity 2018 and 120 sap sacks
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    2014 New custom 2x6 arch "The Firestorm" w/ preheater, AUF & AOF
    Smokey Lake pans and water jacket bottler
    2024 new 2x8 set of drop flue pans and hood from Smoky Lake. Lengthen our arch.
    Just a hobby but seems like more work every
    year
    3 generations working together
    Wife that guards our syrup
    43.74° N

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    Mine has been coming off much lighter than I prefer. I know the lightest is the "best" but not to my taste, I prefer it a little darker
    The best syrup is the one YOU prefer. I also prefer dark Amber for all but on vanilla ice ream, that seems to call for medium in my book. Until I sell out, my B is my #2 seller, right behind dark, for my local sales, but on my internet sales medium is #1.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by WI Sugarpop View Post
    Flatlander,
    Where did your friend move to. He is welcome to stop over and see our operation.
    I think he figures he is just south of you on Co. N. He found on this site or another where you were. He wants to take a peak at your Smokey Lake pans. He is leaning towards that if he can find an arch. I know he went up to a couple other of the big producers right north of him on S? and another one somewhere close by. Don't hold it against him that he is an X-flatlander!!!

I'll let him know to take another look at this site.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    One expensive hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    The best syrup is the one YOU prefer. I also prefer dark Amber for all but on vanilla ice ream, that seems to call for medium in my book. Until I sell out, my B is my #2 seller, right behind dark, for my local sales, but on my internet sales medium is #1.
    I totally agree. I and many of the my other customers want the light syrup. I have several that prefer the darker amber and I have alot of beer making brothers that want the grade b. It just drives me crazy that since I went to a faster boil on the 2 X 6 evaporator 25 to 30 gals/hr versus my old milk tank pan 5 -10 gal/hr, I can't make light syrup any more.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    One expensive hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
    I think he figures he is just south of you on Co. N. He found on this site or another where you were. He wants to take a peak at your Smokey Lake pans. He is leaning towards that if he can find an arch. I know he went up to a couple other of the big producers right north of him on S? and another one somewhere close by. Don't hold it against him that he is an X-flatlander!!!

I'll let him know to take another look at this site.
    You can have him PM me. I'll be happy to help. I enjoy the visits in the maple shack. Oh, by the way, my wife was born in Chicago. Fortunately they moved to WI when she was 5.
    150 on 3/16 gravity 2018 and 120 sap sacks
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    2014 New custom 2x6 arch "The Firestorm" w/ preheater, AUF & AOF
    Smokey Lake pans and water jacket bottler
    2024 new 2x8 set of drop flue pans and hood from Smoky Lake. Lengthen our arch.
    Just a hobby but seems like more work every
    year
    3 generations working together
    Wife that guards our syrup
    43.74° N

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12