+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vacuum

Default vacuum

I was a little wary of some of the numbers I was seeing in the catalogs on how much more sap you will get by adding vacuum. I mean really, 60% more? I'll believe that when I see it. And why would I want vacuum anyway, It's just a hobby. I only have 800 taps out and our best syrup year was 160 gallons. When a good friend of mine offered me his used vacuum pump to try for the season for free and another offered up his releaser I felt I had to at least give it a try. If there was any doubt about vacuum it is gone now. I honestly don't know how we lived without it. I was only able to put out 500 taps at first and planned the following weekend to finish the rest. That would not work out because I was about to find out how much sap I was going to have. It put me in a situation where I was boiling so much I couldn't find the time to tap the rest. When I finally was able to get the rest out my eveporator (30"X8') was suddenly too small. We ended up making 270 gallons before I gave up because I was just too tired from those 18 hour marathon boiling sessoins. If there is anyone out there that is questioning getting into vacuum I would say go for it. I ended up buying the pump from my friend and buying a new releaser and I still had extra money so it paid for itself in one year. Not a bad pay back. I thought I would share this from a smaller producers prospective in hopes it will help make someone elses decision a little easier. As we get closer the sugaring season I wish everyone a full tank everyday.

PowerDub

I welcome e-mails from fellow producers powerdub@yahoo.com

Default PowerDub-Vacuum

Thinking about hooking up vacuum in our little bush.We have 6 short main lines,we don't know much about this,but assume we have to hook them all together,could somebody fill us in?

+ Reply to Thread