+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Post when you see Budding trees

Default Post when you see Budding trees

Athens County Bud report..

-edit- failed to mention all my trees are on a north facing slope.

I do not tap silvers, but I noticed silvers budding in valley along the hocking River a few days ago.

I do tap reds and 2 of my reds are just starting to bud today.

One is a fast growing red that gets lots of sun, about midway between the ridge and the valley. I tap it even though it is small, I intend to kill it this year or the next so that the sugar maple that is being shaded by it can take over.

The other budding red is a woods grown red, but a dominant tree with a high crown.

I have reds on the ridge that are in a mixed wood and not dominant trees, they have not budded yet.

No Sugar Maples have budded yet.

I am ready to call it a season, if I have another boil in me, I might pull the reds off of my mostly sugar tubing lines to keep the buddy sap away from the good sap.

--
    Tor
    Last edited by Tor Haxson; 03-19-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Up here in Ross county my reds are full on buds. My sugars are close but not budded. However; all my sap is cloudy and the last syrup was a slight off flavor.....I pulled taps today.

Seasons just starting in northeastern Ohio.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Most yard silvers have huge buds here, size of golf balls. Woods still looking ok. I did a test saucepan boil last night and still seems fine. I think silvers can get pretty big buds and still be ok, though I will probably start pulling them after tonight. Might leave the woods a few days yet.

Sugars look great though I think my tap holes are closing. We've been tapped a long time. I'm not getting nearly the sap I should from some of them given the weather. Some not flowing at all anymore it seems.
    -Laz

Silver maples are showing some green in the swollen buds as of today. Pulling the plug to be safe. Will still gather the sap from the sugar maples tomorrow and call it a year. Posting from northern union county

Last year I still collected when buds were swelling. Boil down smelled bad. But after filtering the woody flavor was gone. Customers loved it, I didnt think they would.
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

Checked our trees yesterday, no sign of swelling yet. We are not far from frozen lake Erie and that may just keep things cold enough to delay budding a little longer. Won't delay it very long, spring will be here soon.

+ Reply to Thread