+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saybrook

two cookin and canning until 3 am day in a row. The day before yesterday when I went to collect sap, my brother went out and fired the evap back up and proceeded to pull off a batch of candy...well nearly, he pulled it off at the cold line... I told him to not do that. apparently I was not clear enough... yesterday he went out and cooked again while I was collecting...
    this time he ran 1 1/2 gal into the garbage can. he carried out the canner from where I washed it up that morning. and set it up. but did not close the valve...
    I flat out told him very firmly that it is much better to learn how to run the **** thing by running it with a little supervision. not just blindly trying to fiqure it out. ( yes you CAN do that, but it is not the best way...)
    so his reply was... I can cook for you in the morning before you get up....
    I made sure that it was all cooked so he had nothing to boil... SMH... Sorry for the vent, just feeling a little frustrated

I still made and canned 5 3/4 gallon yesterday. gee it could have been over seven...

Collected and boiled 230 gal of sap since 11 Am yesterday. I am thinking that the collection today may very well be the last for 2014. sugar content seems to be dropping fast also. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    I would call this running fair, wouldn't you? BTW that is one of two taps on the tree. The other was running just as fast.

Yeah MapleMounder. I agree

Got in from the sugarhouse at 3:30 this am. Went to work till 11:00 and now back at it. Just collected sap, only about 50 gallons and most weren't running. It will be interesting to see what the next few days bring. Might be a late short season. Will say for some reason this year sugar content seems to up though, that's a good thing.

Good luck all!
    New To Maple in 09'
    16' x 24' Sugarhouse
    Smoky Lakes Corsair Arch
    2' x4' Smoky Lakes Hybrid Drop Flue Pan
    200 Taps On Bags
    IH 806 Diesel & Allis WD
    2 Horses, Black cattle & Yes Chickens
    An Aussie Named Mable Sugar
    Wife, Kids And A Couple Of Friends To Help!

with the over night temps we had last night and as big as the reds blossoms are. plus 60 today... I never dreamed I would get good sap this eve. I had intended to go collect at first light today, since I cooked until near 5 AM. but I passed out instead. I went out this eve expecting to pull buckets. instead I came back with 95 gal of good sap. I did have some I had to pitch. some of the really sunny area trees did not produce more than a few cups.. and it was not good stuff. ( as you would expect.) the best of this years producers were still dripping steady when I came in.

Pulled my taps yesterday. This year started out very slow but ended up just below that last few years for sap output. Ended up with 10gals per tap. On my last two batches, sap collected between 3/23-3/28 made light amber, and sap collected between 3/29-4/1 made medium amber. Hope everyone else is catching up.

Thinking about doing the same, going to see what the freeze brings Friday & Saturday night but more than likely will pull them. No freezing in the forecast after that with high 50's each day with a 70 on Thurs. Overall it's been a decent season.
    New To Maple in 09'
    16' x 24' Sugarhouse
    Smoky Lakes Corsair Arch
    2' x4' Smoky Lakes Hybrid Drop Flue Pan
    200 Taps On Bags
    IH 806 Diesel & Allis WD
    2 Horses, Black cattle & Yes Chickens
    An Aussie Named Mable Sugar
    Wife, Kids And A Couple Of Friends To Help!

I finished off the pan yesterday. I had boiled it a couple times to make sure it would keep and did not feel there was enough in there to do it again. Still have buckets out just in case I get a good run after the freeze tonight..
    Bountiful harvest this year no matter what happens now!
    A record even for this little hobby set up
    contributed to by record sugar levels for me here in the early and mid season runs.
    Very thankful!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast