+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why doesn't my syrup taste like the "pure" maple syrup i've purchased before?

Question why doesn't my syrup taste like the "pure" maple syrup i've purchased before?

Hello folks,
    My syrup has more of a brown sugar butter scotch taste - everyone likes it but agree it's not like pure maple they have tasted before. Reminds me of an ice cream topping?? My first year sugaring, using a barrel evap & buffet pans, and have made approx 2 gal. Myself and a local small time sugar'r were both wondering why - his tastes like mine does. All i have are silver maples. I have hydrometer so I believe I'm finishing it right. I briefly searched and didn't see anything. Could it be my silver maples or the nature of batch boiling?

Do you have a stack on your arch, and if so, how high is it. If not your syrup may be picking up some flavoring from the wood smoke. I had the same experience with my first rig - a small wood stove with a pan on the top. Our first syrup had a distinctive "smoky" flavor to it, but it was good.

When we went to the half pint, I had 6' of stack to help keep smoke away. You may also be getting small amounts of soot floating down into your pan - not something that happens with a sugarhouse due to the stack being outside. Because it's boiled down so far, lots of things can affect the taste of syrup. Good luck and keep at it.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

My syrup is also very sweet vanilla/butterscotchy, I also batch boil all my sap. Most of my sugar is coming from sugar maples. However I will sometimes (1/5 boils) light a fire nearby my rig upwind to keep warm and purposely introduce a smoky flavor, I think it helps make the vanilla/butterscotch flavor taste more unique.. I personally love the smokiness. Like you, I would also love to have a stronger maple flavor but I still really enjoy the vanilla/butterscotchy stuff I'm making.
    Last edited by Sandersyrup; 03-17-2014 at 06:42 PM.
    ~ John

50 Reds, Silvers, Norways and Sugar Maple taps. 4' diameter round Amish made SS wood fired evaporator.

What color is your syrup? Dark syrups have a more pronounced maple taste. Syrup made from early sap tends to be lighter and more delicate in flavor. And that said, there is no correct taste. Flavors vary across a wide range. Unless it tastes like old boiled socks it's still going to taste great on pancakes.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Also remember that maple syrup is like wine, many batches have suttle differences. What it is cooked on, the soil the trees are in, how long it is cooked for, and the very trees the sap comes from all influence the flavor.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

It's funny many here want the light colored syrup

My family and freinds prefer the dark, we all find it has a much more pronounced maple flavour

Whatever floats your boat,

lpakiz Guest

The butterscotch flavor is not uncommon for me either. Usually the first boil of the year, but not every year. I keep it separate, as some folks really like it.

A friend of mine taps 600 silvers and his syrup is excellent but is very butterscotch flavored year in and year out. Like wines I believe silvers have a different distinct flavor.
    Some folks on here towards the eastern side say that red maple has a different taste. Our area around the Millacs lake area I can not tell any difference in color and or taste of the reds and sugars and most all run around 3 to 3.5% sugar.
    Silvers have thier own distinct taste that is excellent but different in my opinion.
    Woodsman
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

I tap 40 or so boxelder tree's and keep that sap separate from the sugar maple sap. It has a pronounced butterscotch flavor compared to sugar maple. The boxelder is usually very light in color and it is best on ice cream. Just my opinion. It is still good on cakes or French toast.
    Homemade 2x6 arch 2'x2' syrup pan 2'x4' sap pan 100 taps on bags

This year I tapped 2 reds 5 sugars and 16 silvers, I mix the sap.. very sweet and a little butterscotch flavor.
    Bill Donovan Loving life in Boston New York
    2016 block arch in progress eyeing up several trees. trying to figure best configuration for chimney. .
    2014: 20-25 taps block arch. 3- 6 inch deep steam table pans . 17 quarts of syrup from from reds, silvers and sugars.
    2011: 9 trees tapped block arch 2 steam table pans 1 side burner on the propane grill..1.5 gallons of syrup
    1 understanding and supportive wife
    1 daughter that loves all things maple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast