+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frozen Float Box Solutions

Trouble light with a 60watt bulb may work. (Old style bulb, not none of those curly que things).

I have never had a problem with a big drawoff at the start of a boil, I only flood the flue pan, the syrup pan stays where its at, or if there is a good bit of fire still in the arch I let a little bit more in. My feelings are that the flue pan isn't too sensitive, basicly just making concentrate to feed the syrup pan.
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

I flood the flue pan and due to the thermal mass of the arch there's a lot of evap overnight after the fire is out. Next time the rig is fired up it never misses a beat. I'm sure it makes a difference in the way your arch is insulated as well, mine is filled with sand.

As far as the float box is concerned I take the float out every night then when the rig is fired up if the float box is still froze I scoop over hot sap doesn't take long and your in buissness

I take some hot coals from my outside wood burner in a metal bucket and set them in the fire box a few hours before I will boil and the rig is all thawed out when it is time to fire it up. To fire it up I repeat the bucket of coals and add wood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12