+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New To VacuumII...How do you fix leaks?

Default New To VacuumII...How do you fix leaks?

This is my first year on vacuum. My question is when you find a leak how do you fix it? Depending on were the leak is, at a tee or at a tap, do you just twist it some or do you cut it off and replace the fitting? I know I'll figure it out in a hurry tomorrow, but still throwing out the question.

defective fittings need to be replaced, loose clamps etc. tightened, loose taps tapped in tighter, hollow trees removed and capped, small chews may be covered with electricians tape, atotaly mangled lateral should be totaly replaced. Maybe temporarilycapped off at the saddle until you can return with the proper tools and parts. I'm sure I missed some.

Same here a regor0 new to the leaks. What is the easiest way to fix leaks in mainline fittings. Do you take the mainline apart and reheat and reinstall.??? Or double up clamps??? Also regor0 you can find the ones in your lats. by looking at the sap flow. If the flow is zipping threw you have a leak it work for me yesterday gained 2.5 inches. If you have a 3 way or 4 way at the end of the line you can really notice the one that is leaking. I found a few in my main line connections that I just didn't mess with, I have to come up with something. It's the black mainlines you have to get down and listen. But to me are harder to fix.

If you have to replace a lateral, how do you deal with the entrance fitting? Do you cut the lateral and splice or do you have to replace the entrance fitting? I'm not there yet, since most of my tubing is only a couple years old but I suspect I'll have to do this on a couple this season or next.
    12th Year "skip gen" Maple Producer
    St. Lawrence County
    1-'09: 4 gal stock pot, fire pit, 3 taps
    2-'10: Pots, Kitchen Stove & Sap Selling ~110 taps
    3-'11: 8x12 Shack, 146 taps (100 buckets/46 gravity), 16"x77" evaporator (2 flat pans)
    4-'12: 8x16 expanded shack, 147 taps, Leader 2x8 dropped flu
    5-'13: Added 10x20 wood shed, 1st yr on vac
    6-'14: 175 taps, Zero Tank
    7-'15: 230 taps, H20 jacket canner, Vintage Ski Doo Elan
    8-'16: 150 taps
    9-'17: Goal - RO and 250+
    Twitter: @Newman_Zone

For your lateral, you normally don't have to replace all of your tubing. If a bear tears into it, you might have to splice, add some tubing or stretch it and splice it. Small squirrel chews can be repaired with electrical tape. No need to replace your saddles if they are not leaking. They usually need tightening after first installed.

For mainlines, our biggest problem are bears taking a bite into the line. We usually cut the section out and insert a new mainline section. We only tape if in a hurry but will go back and replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust7.1 View Post
    If you have to replace a lateral, how do you deal with the entrance fitting? Do you cut the lateral and splice or do you have to replace the entrance fitting? I'm not there yet, since most of my tubing is only a couple years old but I suspect I'll have to do this on a couple this season or next.
    3x10 Leader Inferno Arch
    14,200 Taps
    2 - 14 HP Indiana Vacuum pump
    1800gph Lapierre RO
    10" Lapierre filter press
    2 - 25,000 tap Lapierre releasers
    3 - SS 1500 gallon tanks
    1 - SS 8,400 gallon tank
    8x8 Argo ATV
    50k John Deere generator

24'x32' sugarhouse

+ Reply to Thread