+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You guys still getting sap flow

I may boil Sunday or Monday cause I want a full tank as possible. Last night I quit adding wood after an hour and half and had to finish the near syrup with propane.
    first year at the market 2015!
    I don't act my age so why should i act like i have any sense?
    2014 added a 40"x12' king
    239 taps on my little 3 1/2 acres
    Looking for a sugarbush lease!
    2015 350 taps total
    60 gallons made in spite of learning curve and leaks!
    Good year at the market with all the confections too!
    2016 delaval 76 & with a 6.5 Hp engine gives me 16hg! I think it made my trees 10' shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    This was a great run, and almost all the bags had 4 gallons...So either they quit or they were going full-speed. I am guessing, since many of our 70 taps had quit....I think we collected about 35-40. I am anxious to see what tale the trees have tomorrow.

I am wondering how your getting 4 gallons out of one bag ( i read they are 4 gallon bags but i did not think it was possible to hold 4 gallons on a holder) Mine can be filled to the top and overflowing with maybe 2.5 gallons...you using the same blue sap bags i am?

At best maybe its i figure 3 gallons as it is tapered to the holder..i fill 5 gallon pails when i dump them so i have a measure on each tap or bag. But i wonder if it is because of my holders i made. You using homemade or bought holders?
    about 200 taps on Sap sak with homemade holders
    2'x5' pan
    boiler arch from homemade setup with blower
    Homemade pallet sugar shack proud of it ;-)

Like us on FACEBOOK.com - FlyingNectarFarm

Quote Originally Posted by treeguy View Post
    I am wondering how your getting 4 gallons out of one bag ( i read they are 4 gallon bags but i did not think it was possible to hold 4 gallons on a holder) Mine can be filled to the top and overflowing with maybe 2.5 gallons...you using the same blue sap bags i am?

At best maybe its i figure 3 gallons as it is tapered to the holder..i fill 5 gallon pails when i dump them so i have a measure on each tap or bag. But i wonder if it is because of my holders i made. You using homemade or bought holders?

The bags aren't blue, and they are double sealed...We dump them into 2 gallon buckets, and if they are overflowing, we fill two buckets with one very full bag. I am using bought hangers. Maybe you roll your bags more up, at the top? We do clothespin the bags to the ring, so they don't pull out so easily, when full, but guess that doesn't make any difference in what they hold.

ok cool..i read the blue bags are 4 gallon but a taper and holder take away some capacity..

Were done..trees are not dripping and welcoming spring
    about 200 taps on Sap sak with homemade holders
    2'x5' pan
    boiler arch from homemade setup with blower
    Homemade pallet sugar shack proud of it ;-)

Like us on FACEBOOK.com - FlyingNectarFarm

Here, you guys further south are talking of ending the season, I still haven't had enough to have my first boil. Looks like this week will start things here. My first boil might be Wed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Here, you guys further south are talking of ending the season, I still haven't had enough to have my first boil. Looks like this week will start things here. My first boil might be Wed.
    This is pretty late for you guys to just get started isn't it?

We're about done here in central Ohio. It's cold now, but the days aren't warm enough to get much flow. Probably get good flow on Thursday and maybe Sunday and then it warms up into April.
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps- 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps - 18.5 gallons syrup, 2020 ~125 taps-19.75 gallons syrup

I got buddy sap now so that's done. Now I've just added a finishing room to the shack and need to finish the concentrate in the 40x12', on last years 2'x4' homemade rig.
    first year at the market 2015!
    I don't act my age so why should i act like i have any sense?
    2014 added a 40"x12' king
    239 taps on my little 3 1/2 acres
    Looking for a sugarbush lease!
    2015 350 taps total
    60 gallons made in spite of learning curve and leaks!
    Good year at the market with all the confections too!
    2016 delaval 76 & with a 6.5 Hp engine gives me 16hg! I think it made my trees 10' shorter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12