+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapped and nothing

Default Tapped and nothing

I am 30 miles south of Chicago and tapped on Thursday and I have not got a drop even over the entire weekend. I am just wondering with the ground might still be too frozen or what.

Keep the Faith. It will flow when conditions are right. I have half my trees tapped as of yesterday and today it is 45F and nothing. However - The frost went deep this Winter and I still have 2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground (at least I hope there is ground still underneath). A few more days of freezing at night and above freezing during the day and it should happen.
    Mike
    2x5 F.O. Tank Arch/Wood Fired
    2x5 Mark/Josh Custom Pans
    12 x 14 Sugar Shack
    55 Sure Taps - 100 Unsure Taps

I'm 30 miles SW of Chicago and the story is the same here. I tapped Friday and only have about 20 gallons from 33 taps as of tonight. Unfortunately, it seems like it is going to take quite a few warm days to melt the snow and thaw the ground.

I'm about 40 miles SEE if Chicago, here in Indiana... Same story, total of 30 gallons in 4 days off 80 taps, not a very good season so far... A busy of mine next town over says he's doing ok on vacuum, I'm all gravity, mostly buckets
    2016:100 taps added a JD 1023 sub compact tractor
    2015:break (new baby)
    2014: 70 taps, replaced my concrete arch with a manufactured
    2013: Added 15 more taps and a 18x24 warming pan
    2012 : 36 Taps, 2x4 divided pan on a concrete arch
    2006-07: Assisted an 'Old Timer' with 200 tapps, and his wood fired evaporator up in Wis.
    1986-1993: 5 taps, Boiled on a wood stove in Northern Mich.

My wife is from Peoria so I "peek" in every once and a while to see what is happening out in Illinois. It seems like a northern IL thing but I know there are some larger producers in central IL. Are you guys affected by the wind? Out here if the wind is blowing hard that it affects sap production. I'm not sure about out there.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

I'm about 100miles west of Chicago.I have 15 taps out and have collected about 8 gal. sap so far.I boiled that down yesterday to get my first 8oz.of syrup.When I checked the buckets today there was maybe 1 gal. total.Now more snow coming.

I am about 50 miles SW of Chicago Joliet Il I have 25 taps out and got 15G sap this AM. 2 to more today for domo and only wet hole no sap run. I thought it would run good today.

I'm 35 miles west of Chicago. Totally dry. At least it's not just me, though.

About a third of them running today, tomorrow looks decent but then cold again for the weekend.
    New To Maple in 09'
    16' x 24' Sugarhouse
    Smoky Lakes Corsair Arch
    2' x4' Smoky Lakes Hybrid Drop Flue Pan
    200 Taps On Bags
    IH 806 Diesel & Allis WD
    2 Horses, Black cattle & Yes Chickens
    An Aussie Named Mable Sugar
    Wife, Kids And A Couple Of Friends To Help!

Well its almost 60 here today in west central Illinois. Ran yesterday ok but nothing great. collected 160 gals of sap on 300 taps +_ this morning. My wife kept an eye on things while I was gone. Not much ran the first half the week. Nothing today, didn't freeze up last night. Really afraid it will be a year like 2011. Went from below 0 to 60 degrees in two weeks. made 8 gals all season.

Hoping it'll freeze up tonight well enough for a run tomorrow. Supposed to freeze each night here through Monday. Will believe it when it happens.

As far as sap runs during windy conditions, I always thought it did well during those windy days, but others from CDL say not. Its windy today but way to warm to judge it on todays record.

I also agree until more of the soil thaws out, the sap won't do much either. Most the roots are 1 to 2 foot from the surface that are gathering water and nutrients.
    Flatlander Sugar
    300+ taps on gravity
    Wood Fired 2X6 with piggy back
    Great family & friends to help
    One expensive hobby!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast