+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on leader half-pint evaporator

Default Thoughts on leader half-pint evaporator

This year I bought a half pint and am curious what people think of them. How much wood they use and what kind of evaporation rate people have experienced with it. Also curious of some of the draw backs of the unit and maybe some of the upgrades people have done to improve it. Any feedback is appreciated. I have about 44 taps. Some sugars but mostly reds and silvers.
    2011-2013Homemade evaporator
    55 gallon drum with hotel steam pans. Evaporation rate 2.5 gal/hour
    14 taps on buckets
    2014 used leader half pint evaporator
    20 taps on line, 24 taps on buckets
    12x12 shack for the 2014 season

I used to boil on an older half pint that my grandfather left me. It works great for the number of taps you have, definitely better than the old concrete block setups that we would use before my grandfather bought the half pint. I would get about 4 gallons/hr evaporation on ours, maybe 5 if it was really going right, but by the time I took it over the firebox was falling apart and I'd piece it together with whatever I had available (mostly scrap metal, zap screws, and stove pipe sealer). If you push the pan back towards the chimney it will pre-heat the sap better. I built a ramp in mine out of fire brick and sand to push the flames up to the pan. Other than that split your wood fine and burn it as hot as you can. I imagine the new arches work a little better than mine did. I decided to go with a bigger setup instead, which is probably too small already, but kept the old half pint for the memories I have with it. Have fun!

Harrisville, New Hampshire, United States

I made 27 gallons on a Halfpint last year from about 125 taps, I always had a turkey fryer going to finish on. Moved up to a 2 x 6 this year and 325 taps. I would say Loch is about on the money with boil rate.Have a slow drip go into the preheater pan if you have one.Bring it close, and draw off into the Turkey pot to finish, seemed to work well for me!
    Two years boiling on a Leader half pint
    2011 100 buckets,12 gallons made
    2013 120 on tubeing 20 buckets 27 gallons made
    2014 Leader King 2 x 6 Working on 400 + on tubeing
    goal: 70 gallons

I have a half pint and have used it for four seasons. As mentioned above, dry wood split fine will really help you maintain the boil. Keep adding wood a little at a time and don't let it burn down too far before adding wood. If I keep right after mine, I can evaporate about 8 gal/hour. I usually draw off small amounts at around 216 deg. and finish on a gas burner. I've never actually calculated wood consumption, but you seem to never have enough!! I would guess I burn about a 1/2 face cord in a 10 hour day. Also, I only run 1"-1 1/4" of product in the pan. I really helps with the evap rate but keep a close eye on it

Half pints are great little rigs. In my opinion though they are definitely "gateway" evaporators. Had one for years. I would not expand much though. I had 50 taps, and typically would have to boil 10-12 hours per batch.
    2x8 Phaneuf,raised flue.
    250 taps
    Mechanical BG releaser
    Gast 0822 vacuum pump
    16"x16" Leader Filter/canning Unit
    10'x16' Sugar Shack

What would you end up with for syrup after your 12 hour boil ? 1.5 gallons maybe ? Can't wait to do my first boil on it.
    2011-2013Homemade evaporator
    55 gallon drum with hotel steam pans. Evaporation rate 2.5 gal/hour
    14 taps on buckets
    2014 used leader half pint evaporator
    20 taps on line, 24 taps on buckets
    12x12 shack for the 2014 season

I had a 1/2 pint for two years, great rig. You should boil off about 5 gal/hr, and with 2% sap should be able to produce 1 gal in an 8-9 hour boil. With 44 taps it's doable.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Why is it that most people don't finish the syrup in the 1/2 pint evaporator pan but instead finish in a turkey fryer?

Quote Originally Posted by JOELM View Post
    Why is it that most people don't finish the syrup in the 1/2 pint evaporator pan but instead finish in a turkey fryer?
    Not having used one I'm speculating here but I'm wondering if the half pint is more of a batch process type pan. On a full-sized evaporator you have a continuous flow of sap coming in and syrup coming off pretty regularly so there is little risk (lol) of burning the pan if the levels get too low. I'm wondering if you do a draw off on a half pint if it would lower the levels across the whole pan too low.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

+ Reply to Thread