+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Started tapping Greene County '23

Default Started tapping Greene County '23

Once again skipped a year. Unfortunately we skipped because my chief gatherer and all around good guy- my dad- had a stroke. Didn't have the heart to make syrup. While he is still kicking and willing, he won't be carrying buckets much this season. So I'll likely continue with our 3/16 lines, and make less. Wood is already cut, but the sap house needs prepping and assembling. Early this year, but sap was running out the holes as they were drilled today!20230205_154244.jpg

Huh, 'fred the dog is sideways! ...fix it later...
    Scrap pile built 2.5 by 8, induced draft, preheater, separate finishing pan
    brick sap house

1st boil today, after thrashing to get the evaporator assembled. Some freeze cracks in parts of my preheater, so there was last minute redesigning going on. Yes I should have prepared sooner. The 3/16 lines worked great- and all down into one barrel, which will be swapped for a tote, as it was overflowing this morning. Hoping for a freeze tonight!
    brick sap house

Ran 3 more sets lines up the hill yesterday. Always nice to see sap pour out the hole, and wash out chips! Grabbed a new bag of T fittings, but found that all of them are defective- one leg looks like the core pin in the mold was missing! The barb doesn't have a hole in it! Retreated to the greenhouse with some beverages and got the fire going in there and recycled some old line sets and salvaged the Tees from them. Seems odd that issue made it thru quality control.

Edit- there's nothing wrong with the tees- we were mistakenly given the green ones which intentionally are made with a closed leg. Learned something new!
    Last edited by ponderingjunkman; 02-12-2023 at 11:06 AM.
    brick sap house

7 runs so far puts us in the middle of our season. Made 30 gallons for the year today. Less than previous years, but less taps too. Cold for a couple days will be a nice break.
    brick sap house

Gathered mid afternoon. We use a little homelite pump to empty the tote and 6 barrels into the tote on the truck, which then drains into our big tank at the sap house. We got two of those AP125 pumps at auction many years ago, and one has been pumping lots of sap in that time. Today there was an unusual and unwelcome rattle in the little 2 stroke engine. It got steadily worse, till it stalled and wouldn't restart, and sounded like marbles inside when trying! Dad was all for heading to harbor freight, but I knew that other pump was around somewhere. A search thru the shed and lean-to failed to find it. Doesn't seem like something that would be tossed... ah yes- upstairs above the shop it was sitting in pieces in a box. Had spark, no carb, no cover on the bottom end. Looked good tho, much better than the broken crank in the other pump! Swapped on the carb and fuel tank, bolted on the crankcase cover, and transfered the hoses. Started and ran well, and finished the day's work! Crisis averted, for free! 225 gallons waiting for tomorrow's boil.
    brick sap house

The best kind of fix is a free one!

Indeed! However you get what you pay for! The pump became very hard starting thru the day yesterday. Took it back apart and resealed the leaking cylinder base gasket. Seemed to start better again. We are on borrowed time for that series of pumps, and will upgrade next year. Cam lock connections and honda engines!

Looks like I got my wish to boil in the snow!
    brick sap house

Finishing the 16th boil today. Most we've done prior was 14. Seems like its slowing down, but the cold nights may force me to cut more firewood! Dumped half a barrel of yellow sap this morning. Gathered some buckets thru 2 feet of snow. Fun fun!
    brick sap house

We are calling it after our 18th boil today! Lots not running, some yellow and cloudy, but the rest produced enough for a last go around! Used up the last of the damp wood I dragged out of the woods. 79.5 gallons total. Odd that the season wraps up with snow still on the ground. Now to clean up....

Thanks for following along!
    brick sap house

+ Reply to Thread