+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: It's either this weekend or next for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bush INC View Post
    Well the sap in running in Aitkin!!! Our group has collected well over 300 gallons today and will cooking 24/7. They are scrambling to find storage for the sap and are collecting both morning and evening. Which makes it difficult to find time for canning. Every year we add just a few more taps......I think next year we will have to look hard at moving from our 70 gallon flat pan outdoor cooking to an evaporator and perhaps a sugar shack!

Nice problem to have ! Glad things are finally running for you up there.

I hope all is well with your pup. It seems like we were due for this heavy sap run. I was able to meet with Leo last week at the Aitkin Beanery and talk shop. It would be fun to get other Aitkin county maple syrup collectors together.

What an interesting season - during the hard freeze earlier this week - I could see the trees had run some in the afternoons. Yesterday, I collected 200 gallons (130 taps) with a lot of ice I could not get out of my buckets. Today, about 24 hrs later, another 210. Boiling like mad on out 2 x 4 oil tank evap. We will collect tomorrow and then finish what we got. Got a shot at 30 gallons this year.

interesting season to say the least Friday went out and gathered 65 gallons off of 50 taps went out Saturday evening to check and figured I would be pulling taps got out there and holy buckets did I have sap over 75 gallons so I figured might as well cook got 2 gallons finished and bottled and still have some sweet and almost syrup out in the shack hopefully I can get out there after the Easter dinner in the twin cities later today
    Custom built downsized Small Bros. arch and leader pan
    Carrying on the wifes family tradition with the help of my brother and my cousin
    two miles of almost impassable woods road to get to the sugar bush and shack (heaven)

Happy Easter. We finally had a good run this weekend, collected 234 gallons Friday and 120 on Saturday. Not spectacular, but best this year. So far I have collected about 650 gallons from 200 taps; pretty poor. We got down to 30 last night so I am hopeful for another small run today.
    Leo
    Concrete block arch
    34" X 64" flat pan with warming pan
    110 taps for 2012 with drop lines to 5 gallon buckets
    Adding 100 taps on bags for 2013.
    John Deere Trail Buck EXT sap hauler
    42 acres of mixed hardwoods with Sugar Maples
    One German Wire Haired Pointer (little help, but good company)

We ended up collecting 850 gallons Friday and Saturday. I'll finish boiling today and start putting things away tomorrow. Even though I was hoping for more syrup this year, this last couple of days has satisfied my desire to keep going.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

We picked up 500 gallons Friday. RO,ed Friday evening 259 gallons and the other 250 Sat morning. Sap was 3.5% on 250 gallons and 2.8 on the other 250. After Ro,ing we were at 6% Boiled it off yesterday. Done for the season now.
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

The peepers have been peeping for over a week and we have hit the 70s last week.
    I was sure this weeks sap would be buddy but we boiled all day yesterday and made over thirteen gallons of dark amber. Strong but good flavor and no off taste. Almost out of wood and definitely out of energy Done for the season with over 34 gallons of good syrup.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Default Sounds like a good end to the season for some of you guys!

Glad to hear so many people had fun during a challenging season.

Default Done for the season

From what I have been reading this season was challenging for most. Being my first season I have nothing to compare to.
    I began tapping on 1 March and ran a total of 27 taps. Total for the season I got about 100 gallons of sap - which boiled to about 2.5 gallons of syrup. My goal was 1 gallon so I am happy. My daughter made this venture her science project - so I have plenty of data to reference next year.

Here are my lessons learned:
    1) Be patient.
    2) Have a better boiling / evaporating system. Not knowing what to expect I used propane and a 60 qt pot for boiling...
    3) Learn how to complete the final filtering...which really means "buy the right filter"
    4) Convince the Mrs. to buy me a four wheeler - or something to haul buckets around. Walking and carrying by hand sucked!
    and 5) know your friends. Now that my season is over, and I have 24 pints - suddenly everyone “that supported me with love and kind words” thinks I can spare a jar or two.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice throghout the season! looking forward to next year!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast