+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: It's either this weekend or next for me...

Default It's either this weekend or next for me...

In looking at the extended forecast, the temps next week and going forward look to be in the target zone. I tap silver maples at my parents place and they run WAY earlier than my hard maples at my place, so the silvers will be tapped shortly (this weekend or next). I'm gonna wait to tap my maples for a bit. My brother is tapping boxelder at his place (first time tapper) and we'll probably tap those the same time as the silvers. He was gonna do regular maple, but he has WAY WAY more boxelder in his neighborhood that he will tap those and i will tap maple and trade syrup.

I also tap boxelder and I have been checking them lately. If you break a branch off it will drip sap if it is ready. Nothing yet. I'm not drilling taps until I see drips.
    Last edited by supersapper; 03-09-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Misspell
    Homemade 2x6 arch 2'x2' syrup pan 2'x4' sap pan 100 taps on bags

Nice thaw going on outside right now! Lots of snow around here. I think it'll be a while before things start to flow around this part of the state. I started to dig my block arch out of the mound of snow it is under...Just for the heck of it I tapped one silver on the edge of my woods and............Not a drop, but now I 'll have an indicator of when it starts to flow...
    2012 1st year 25 taps, crude block arch, 1 gallon syrup made
    2013 2nd year 50 gravity taps, 3 pan block arch w/drop tubes, 16 gallons made
    2014 3rd year 30 gravity taps same arch and pans, 6 1/2 gallons made
    2015 4th year 8 gravity taps (reds only) same arch and pans, 15 pints made
    2016 5th year 15 gravity taps. Reds and silvers. About 2 gallons made

Well I am all in. Did my 40 taps for the year, all silvers. Only one tap dripping, the rest of them were pretty dry. It got to 58 today so I figured it would be a good time to go. I'll post when it actually starts.

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

I started to tap up in Mcgregor today. Still about 30 inches of snow. There's very little frost in the ground up there. Yesterday my dad took the big snowblower out and cleared the trails. He was throwing dirt, not just a little either. I put out 200 taps today and the holes were dripping this afternoon and the taps from this morning had a little sap in the bags. Usually it takes about two weeks from the initial warm up for things to get going. I'm glad I didn't wait until next weekend to start. It's going to happen early this year so you better get to tapping! !
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

I tapped a few test trees near Barnum and 3 outside my window in Ham Lake. All are dry but at least I've got some to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Larry
    2013 4 taps then 8 taps then 19 taps - Steam tray pans on propane stove
    2014 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 75 taps all on sap saks
    2015 2x3 WF Mason Evaporator 10x12 Sugar Shack 110 taps
    2016 I need to figure out how to get a a small RO

I attempted to get to the sugar shack but only made it half way to much snow and to warm for the old snow blower. not to mention some a-hole (land owner) drove back and forth a million times on the road with his snowmobile so I had a real challenge for the first 2 miles by then I was needing fuel and so was the tractor hopefully I get out there sometime time this week. Hope its a long season, good luck all
    Custom built downsized Small Bros. arch and leader pan
    Carrying on the wifes family tradition with the help of my brother and my cousin
    two miles of almost impassable woods road to get to the sugar bush and shack (heaven)

I had about 85 in last week, and put in another 20 in today. One tree (sugar) had a drop in the tap hole. Looking good!

Put in 90 yesterday. I had about 4 wet holes. Almost 60degrees here right now, and with this week's forecast most should be waking up by the weekend. And (right now anyway) next week looks pretty good so things should start to get busy!
    Dan
    -15 years sugaring and counting - hoping to create a tradition my kids will always remember
    -400 taps, mostly buckets (Silver Maples + a few Boxelders just for the heck of it)
    -Custom-built 2x6 evap with Smoky Lake Maple raised flue, boiling in dad's old farm granary, now converted to sugar shack
    -Cobbled-together RO with XLE4040 membrane
    -New in 2021: experimenting with 3/16 tubing & a Shurflo pump.

I'm eager - but waiting.

I tried to get to the trees this weekend, but the snow was far too deep. In three hours, we got the plow truck stuck seven or eight times and only plowed about 100 yards of the driveway that's 600 yards long. Hoping the snow melts enough this week that I can tap this coming weekend.
    Rookie in 2009
    30-40 Taps, 2x4 Homemade Evap, Kids to Help

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast