+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First tap

Default First tap

Put my first taps in tonight. This is my first year, so I've been loosing sleep waiting! Got 10 in before it got dark. The first few were really flowing as soon as I drilled the hole, but the last 2 were dry. Not sure if it was the tree or the sun going down & cooling off. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!

Yes it is a great thing to watch your first sap come dripping out and then stand there and listen to the plink plink plink as it drips into the bucket . It is difficult to turn away from the first ever tap. Was the wood coming from your dry holes nice and white and not rotted..i have a couple of trees that just don't seem to want to drip at all...maybe they are some weird hybrids that just don't have any sap..lol seriously though have lots of fun doing your sugaring.
    Last edited by maplerookie; 03-04-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    Bill Donovan Loving life in Boston New York
    2016 block arch in progress eyeing up several trees. trying to figure best configuration for chimney. .
    2014: 20-25 taps block arch. 3- 6 inch deep steam table pans . 17 quarts of syrup from from reds, silvers and sugars.
    2011: 9 trees tapped block arch 2 steam table pans 1 side burner on the propane grill..1.5 gallons of syrup
    1 understanding and supportive wife
    1 daughter that loves all things maple

Seems like some trees will just start later than others....

+ Reply to Thread