+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tree Budding 2014

Default Tree Budding 2014

I was surprised and thought it was just a one-off when I saw a 3’ silver maple on the family farm just south of the Md/Pa line yesterday. I just got back from running errands just north of the state line where I am tapping, and noticed several red maples budding on the drive. The sugar and black maples I am tapping are not so far. I haven’t collected much of anything for the last 4 days as everything is all froze up though. I Hope I can catch another good week here on the next warm spell before the other maples start turning.

Are any of you starting to see budding?

To me "budding" means buds that are opening and beginning to flower. Is that what you're seeing? Or are you just noticing the winter buds that are normally present?

We're a long way off from budding up here. I know it's warmer where you live but think you are still a month or more away from that. Sugaring season has barely begun. There should still be some good runs in a week or so once the weather warms up.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Buds aren't even close here in Lancaster. The red and silver maples do however exhibit large round red winter buds.

We haven't even come close to seeing typical season ending signs.
    ~ John

50 Reds, Silvers, Norways and Sugar Maple taps. 4' diameter round Amish made SS wood fired evaporator.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Ma&Pa-sapper View Post
    Are any of you starting to see budding?
    I can almost guarantee you that you are NOT seeing budding, but you are seeing buds. Trees have buds. If they don't, they are dead. Silver and red maple buds are much larger than sugar maple buds in the winter condition.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I did not look at the silver maple closely, just noticed it through the window. Those buds did indeed look like they were starting to open at a glance, but it is in a sheltered spot with good exposure. The reds on my drive were just looking extra swollen and red. These are the temps since I started tapping where I am located. The temps at the farm usually run 3-5* warmer even though just a 15 minute drive away. I too expect another week or more once it warms up again (going to 3*F tonight), the silver just surprised me.
    High and low...
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014
    41F____21F
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014
    44_____23
    Thursday, February 20, 2014
    48_____23
    Friday, February 21, 2014
    48_____35
    Saturday, February 22, 2014
    54_____28
    Sunday, February 23, 2014
    50_____28
    Monday, February 24, 2014
    35_____22
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014
    31_____16
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014
    28_____11

PS; I am just west of the Susquehanna River

These trees are not budding. You are seeing flower buds on Red and Silver Maples. Every year there are several threads about this. Do a search.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I'm getting similar temps 20 min north. I have what I thought were early budding trees but I can tell by the light color of my syrup and my sap flows that the trees are not really even thinking about spring yet. I think we'll need at least 2 solid weeks of nights above 35°F before buds open.

I did however tap my reds early Feb and I do expect the holes to close up soon. I tapped my sugars 2 weeks ago and expect them to produce for 3 more weeks.
    ~ John

50 Reds, Silvers, Norways and Sugar Maple taps. 4' diameter round Amish made SS wood fired evaporator.

+ Reply to Thread