+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nace and Jan.... Sugar Mapler's!!!!!

Thumbs up Nace and Jan.... Sugar Mapler's!!!!!

Two of my boys and myself had the chance to visit Nace and his lovely wife last evening. Although we took an hour to find his sugar shack, he only lives 5 minutes away. Nace and Jan were both so warm and welcoming. We were thrilled to see their "operation" and could appreciate the amount of work Nace had undertaken. He has placed his wonderful sugar shack in quite the creative location! My boys came home wishing we could build one, rather than stand shivering in the driveway, day-after-day!

My children are domestic abuse survivors....Barely. They aren't fond of strangers and thought I was a bit loopy to suggest going to meet some we found on the internet. I explained that I didn't think we would find a predator on a maple sugaring forum....I was certainly right this time, anyway. These precious boys, thanked me all the way home for taking them to visit Nace and his wife. They were thrilled! Even the little quiet one Nace.

Thank you Nace and Jan, for what you did for my boys, and myself. You spent so much time with us, all the while the temp. was steadily dropping. You helped my boys move one step closer to being able to understand that there are some good and trustworthy and kind people in this world. God Bless You! We look forward to pizza night with you both!

Nice story. I've found all members of the Maple Trader are real nice folks. Each is very willing to share their knowledge and experiences. Some Day Nace and Jan may well be on the Mentor end and council others.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have found that what Dave says is true. It was wonderful of those folk to share with you. Might I suggest getting them into a 4-h club. there you will find salt of the earth people as well, and the boys will learn things useful throughout their entire lives as well as interact with more adults.
    Bill Donovan Loving life in Boston New York
    2016 block arch in progress eyeing up several trees. trying to figure best configuration for chimney. .
    2014: 20-25 taps block arch. 3- 6 inch deep steam table pans . 17 quarts of syrup from from reds, silvers and sugars.
    2011: 9 trees tapped block arch 2 steam table pans 1 side burner on the propane grill..1.5 gallons of syrup
    1 understanding and supportive wife
    1 daughter that loves all things maple

Quote Originally Posted by maplerookie View Post
    I have found that what Dave says is true. It was wonderful of those folk to share with you. Might I suggest getting them into a 4-h club. there you will find salt of the earth people as well, and the boys will learn things useful throughout their entire lives as well as interact with more adults.
    Thank you!
    My children are very close to the "Old Order Mennonite" community. They love to go stay with their friends there, even overnight. They are comfortable there. This community is the most conservative of all the Amish and Mennonite Orders and for some reason we have been welcomed with open arms...We help them on their farms and the kids have such fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Thank you!
    My children are very close to the "Old Order Mennonite" community. They love to go stay with their friends there, even overnight. They are comfortable there. This community is the most conservative of all the Amish and Mennonite Orders and for some reason we have been welcomed with open arms...We help them on their farms and the kids have such fun.
    Perfect! So do you make syrup? This is my second attempt. The weather is not being very cooperative though.
    Bill Donovan Loving life in Boston New York
    2016 block arch in progress eyeing up several trees. trying to figure best configuration for chimney. .
    2014: 20-25 taps block arch. 3- 6 inch deep steam table pans . 17 quarts of syrup from from reds, silvers and sugars.
    2011: 9 trees tapped block arch 2 steam table pans 1 side burner on the propane grill..1.5 gallons of syrup
    1 understanding and supportive wife
    1 daughter that loves all things maple

Quote Originally Posted by maplerookie View Post
    Perfect! So do you make syrup? This is my second attempt. The weather is not being very cooperative though.
    Oh yes! We have about 65 taps in and use the bags/hangers . We have a lovely 4ft. evaporator. We also use a stainless steal wood-fired water bath canner...When our "cup" overflows. We have made 140 twelve oz. jars so far this year. It has been a long season for us. We started tapping the first week in January. Last year we started before Christmas, because I thought it would be lovely to go into the woods on Christmas Eve and gather sap and cook it....That's just us! Last year, trees had quit, but so far they are still running. I am guessing we will be done this next week.

Ha! Every year you will make a better plan! That makes it fun!

thank you sugar and you are welcome.
    first year at the market 2015!
    I don't act my age so why should i act like i have any sense?
    2014 added a 40"x12' king
    239 taps on my little 3 1/2 acres
    Looking for a sugarbush lease!
    2015 350 taps total
    60 gallons made in spite of learning curve and leaks!
    Good year at the market with all the confections too!
    2016 delaval 76 & with a 6.5 Hp engine gives me 16hg! I think it made my trees 10' shorter.

+ Reply to Thread