+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atmos 300K

Default Atmos 300K

I've always used canola oil spray, but thought I'd try something new this year. I have read old posts and the MSDS on it, but I'm still not sure what it is made from. What can I tell customers - in layman's terms?

ATMOS 300K
    Composition / Information on Ingredients
    (order of predominance)
    Mono and Diglycerides
    Propylene Glycol
    Propyl Gallate
    Citric Acid

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

From what I can find it looks like it is made from animal and vegetable fats/oils but also may contain some synthetic products. To keep it simple I'd tell them it's a commercially produced defoamer made to replace the traditionally used animal fats like butter and lard. Tell them it won't spoil or add an off flavor or cause allergic reactions as some older defoamers might. You can add something about how they used to hang a piece of pork fat over the syrup pans and let the fat drip to keep the syrup from boiling over. That might make a commercially engineered product sound more appealing, lol
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Don't use too much at a time or you can taste it in the syrup. Sunflower oil works good and you can buy that in the grocery store. My wife bought some little squirt bottles in a party store and we put the oil in them and add a drop at a time. It is also cheaper and you can tell your costumers exactly what you use.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Yeah, I agree. I've always used canola, but always wondered is something else was more effective. I feel like I always have to use a lot. So, I'll compare boils between the two.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

I was told by leader when I bought some that it was highly refined animal fat. I used it for a couple years it works good but did not like that it hardens in low temps I had to keep warming it up thoughout the boil and then it would be so thin that I would put in to many drops (could be operator error). I used cooking spray in the past and have gone back to the cooking spray but the other day my sister pointed out that some of the ingredients in the sprays are allergens to some people. I understand that they sell self pump spray bottle that you can add 100% oil of your choice and pump it up and it srays like the cooking spray stuff. So I am going to get one of those and try it next.

Nathan
    123 taps 2012
    175 taps 2013
    250 taps 2014
    3 Sap Haulers & 1 Maple Widow
    2X6 Smokey maple pans

http://smilebox.com/play/4d7a41784e5..._playback_link

All I know about it is that it is advertised as "Kosher Approved" and it sure works! A neighbor used sunflower oil, when I ran out of my first small bottle of Atmos he gave me his bottle of sunflower oil to finish the season. I was lucky that I was able to finish the season with it as I had to squirt the oil in rather than count drops to keep the foam down. At Leader's next open house I bought a gallon of Atmos, filled up his bottle with Atmos, when he tried it the next season he bought a bottle for himself as he also found a major difference.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Nathan - I agree about Atmos. It works - if it isn't frozen or hard in the bottle. Every year I forget about this problem with Atmos and the first couple of boils - when I foam up and reach for the Atmos it is solid and I make a mad dash for the house for anything I can grab quick to prevent a mini-disaster. Once I get back in the groove - I place the Atmos in a warm location to get it into a liquid state and it works just fine. -----Mike-----
    Last edited by Ausable; 02-22-2014 at 07:27 PM.

I mixed about 2 oz. with water in a 1:1 ratio then froze the unused part. I'll keep the mixture I made in the fridge until it's time to boil.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

it works very good. supposedly its concentrated anti foaming ingredients that are in fat and oil. that's why they are solid like that are. I guess they are scientifically separated from natural oils and fat some how. Process seems to be unknown.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by red maples View Post
    it works very good. supposedly its concentrated anti foaming ingredients that are in fat and oil. that's why they are solid like that are. I guess they are scientifically separated from natural oils and fat some how. Process seems to be unknown.
    It is fat and oils that have been chemically treated to break the molecular fat chain into smaller pieces. Usually some kind of acid is used, I'm thinking citric acid because that's listed on the label. The mono- and di- glycerides also listed on the label are smaller chain links that make up fat molecules. One reason Atmos is preferred over fats and oils is because less can be used in comparison. That much I know for sure, the rest of this is my theory. I'm thinking it goes farther because those smaller pieces can do the same job as the long chain fats they were made from.

Propyl gallate is a synthetic antioxodant probably added to prolong shelf life and keep the glycerides from going rancid. Propylene glycol is a solvent and a preservative. It Is probably used as a vehicle to disperse the glycerides in a liquid form because fat like substances do not mix well with water.
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast