+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Franklin county

Well, collected 88 gallons yesterday and boiled today, got almost a couple of gallons out of it! So far got almost 7 1/2 gallons of syrup this season. Heard the peepers last night on the way home. Got some sap running in the deep woods today, but most of the taps seem to have shut off. We'l see if there is enough for one last boil this weekend...

Back at it for 2021! Put in about 80 taps between Brushton and Moira this past weekend, during yesterdays thaw we went around and found a whopping 4 gallons of sap so far! About 1/4 started running a bit but most are obviously very slow to start. Deep snow and a deep freeze right before this may have contributed. Looking forward to much more when we hit the 40s this weekend!

Same conditions in the Southern Tier. Deep heavy snow pack and frost in the ground. 2nd warm up should be the gusher.

Just did my first boil today, got a little over half a gallon of some dark tasty syrup- a bit lower than I expected to say the least, but since it was a test boil on a new setup, better than nothing! Thankfully I could store my sap in the snowbanks to keep it fresh until today. The sap's sugar content was low, and the flow hasn't been great, but has been steadily increasing- though the two warms spells haven't helped at all! Hopefully we get some better sap weather in the next week.

Gathered sap the last several days, its been quite a great run! But way, way too warm. Was in the low 70s. Boiling in my Tshirt now. Think I heard a frog trilling in the woods behind my house today. I have a tap I put into a birch tree for kicks, but its not running yet. I know Birch tends to run the last week, and stil haven't properly heard peepers yet, so let's hope for a spectacularly wrong weather forecast. We need some cold weather for this season!

Got just a little bit more sap on Monday, leftovers form the weekend. Made one last quart. While my birch tap hasn't flowed yet, the warm rain yesterday got the peepers singing, and those buds are starting to look big. I guess its possible we might get another run, but I don't know if result will be any good. If I was to place money on it, I'd say this past weekend (March 20-21) was the end of the season. Made 5 gallons from 80 taps. Not a banner year!

Our season ended Monday with very dark #23. I startup a small boil on Tuesday evening and as soon as it steamed I could smell wet cardboard and no maple. Red maple buds have doubled in size in the past 2 days and frogs are out and about. 15 gallons bottled on 150 taps. I was prepared and expecting to bottle 25-30. It appears that St. Patrick's Day has become the end point south of the St. Lawrence.

Expanded this year, we installed tubing this past fall and finished the lines this month. Tapped Sunday and Monday - almost 200 total. Had around 20-30 gallons of sap yesterday, enough to rinse out the lines and tank bottoms. Will be interesting to see how it runs today. Shut down as I left last night, but another big warm up today, so will be interesting to see how much we get. Probably won't process/boil any today, but since we have a deep freeze for the next week, I might for the heck of it. Testing out lots of stuff this year, so I'm eager for the season to kick in!

We got some more in sap in, and then it froze! Was not expecting such a hard freeze right after that break, but not surprised. Looking like a wet warm day this Sunday (maybe too warm- the 50s) so I imagine our first proper boil is Monday-Tuesday. New location, trees, RO, etc - lots of new stuff to test out this year, and I'm pumped.

The weekend run was slow to fully kick in, but we're still stretching/fixing some lines and leaks and testing equipment. Yesterday was our first boil and "shakedown" day and it went well! Sweetened the pans. Maybe got half a gallon of sap per tap but the totals a bit unclear- still lots of ice in our tanks despite the big thaw! Looking forward to a busy time later this week. Still haven't seen much boiling activity from the folks I pass on 11/1B to our sugarbush in the area, suspect that will change soon. Sugar content looking decent from whats come so far, which is good!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast